Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Getting a New Job With an Expired Green Card

Green cards and naturalization is not for people who just want immigration convenience. Why don't you just abandon PR status now and go home.

When you renew your state ID, you need to provide evidence that you are legally in the US. That proof was your green card. You cannot use an expired one. What do you plan to show?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Green cards and naturalization is not for people who just want immigration convenience.
    Why not? Doesn't harm anyone does it? Who do you think they are for?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Why don't you just abandon PR status now and go home.
    Because I have a very good job here and now and the global economy is still weak. I will leave when I'm ready to and there are lots of good jobs available in the country I want to move to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    When you renew your state ID, you need to provide evidence that you are legally in the US. That proof was your green card. You cannot use an expired one. What do you plan to show?
    Getting a new one does require a valid ID but I believe that you can renew your state ID or drivers licence just by showing your current (expiring) one.

Not in my state you can't.

Does that mean that whenever a citizen in your state wants to renew a drivers licence or state ID they have to provide non-DMV proof (birth certificate, passport, etc) every time? Or does the requirement only apply to green card holders somehow?

You need to provide a valid SSN that the RMV can verify with the SSA or proof of an acceptable visa status, and I-94 AND (not or) a current non-US passport. I don't have any first hand knowledge as to how much cross-checking there would be between the various agencies to determine if you currently are holding a valid green card to go along with that SSN. Your state's policies may vary.

BTW, did you know that if you do not have a valid green card on you at all times, you are guilty of a misdemeanor?

I think that all Permanent Residents have a SSN. They are after all entitled to work here.
    My question was what do citizens have to show to your state's DMV for licence/ID renewal and are they treated differently to PRs in this regard?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    BTW, did you know that if you do not have a valid green card on you at all times, you are guilty of a misdemeanor?
    Yes - but hardly anyone carries it with them. I think it's pretty rare to get in trouble for not carrying it.

And I told you what citizens in my state have to do when they renew their license/ID.

Am I the only one who is utterly disgusted by this OP's complete and total disregard for the law as long as it benefits him?

Let's keep things in perspective shall we?
    I am a Permanent Resident who is merely 'out of status'. This is not an unpardonable sin. It isn't larceny or embezzlement. Many PRs are out of status - mostly by accident/carelessness. They aren't all criminals and outlaws.
    I'm not renewing because I already have a suitable ID, I intend to emigrate eventually and I am unwilling to pay the INS $450 for an ID card.
    No need to get all bent out of shape.

So you're willing to deliberately violate the law because it would be inconvenient for you to obey it, and after all you don't plan to stay here forever so it's okay cuz "everyone else does it".

Hey, Moderator, any way of passing this thread on to the authorities?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast