Default If a Minor Moves Out Do They Get Direct Payment of Dependent's Benefits

hi! i'm 17 and i will be moving out of my parents soon and attending community college. my mom gets monthly checks from my dads social security. (i think that's what it is i'm not sure how this all works.) she gets 2 one for me and one for my sister. since i'm moving out i'm wondering if i can get it mailed to me to use since i am going to be needing money for college and living expenses. and insight would be helpful thanks!

Default Re: 17 Year Old Moving Out. Do I Get the Social Security Checks Now or Does My Mom

Nope, it doesn't work that way. The Rep Payee continues to get the checks and determine how they are spent for your benefit.

Default Re: 17 Year Old Moving Out. Do I Get the Social Security Checks Now or Does My Mom

you need to contact your local social security office (not social services, that is a different agency)

Quote Quoting Lehk
    View Post
    you need to contact your local social security office (not social services, that is a different agency)
    OP has not reached the age of majority and is not eligible to receive the money as a matter of law.

Go to your local office and show that you are living independently from your mother and file to be your own payee. If you are 17 1/2, it should be automatically approved. Benefits will stop the month of your 18th birthday though, unless you are still in high school. There is no money paid to you as a college student.

1. Sponsored Links