Question Can You Patent an Idea Involving Two Existing Inventions

I have an idea that will use two different products. One is readily available at your local home depot/ Lowe's stores. The other is available but has to be ordered. I want to bring them together and use them in a unique way. I haven't created anything new, but using these products the way I want to will open a whole new business/market. Do I have any intellectual property protection or patent rights?

Any help would be great. Let me know if you need further vague details

Default Re: Can You Patent an Idea Involving Two Existing Inventions

You may be able to secure a patent, but the facts matter. Obviousness, prior art, etc. At one end we have, "I bought a can of paint and a paint brush", in the middle we have McGyver and his magic duct tape, and at the other extreme we have "I figured out how to amplify wifi signals using a two-by-four and a garden hose."

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately it is more on the McGyver side because I dont have the equipment or facilities to manufacture things such as a water pumps, liquid tubes/hoses... Any suggestions on where to go from here keeping in mind my budget is very limited...
    Let me know, thanks!

Where you go, and whether you could find an investor willing to help you go there, will depend upon the market value of the invention and whether or not your investor believes that a patent will be viable - both in terms of whether the invention is patentable and whether there will be easy or obvious work-arounds that will allow competitors to accomplish the same thing without paying a licensing fee. Without knowing about the invention and its potential market, where you should go next could be a patent law firm, to embark on a search for a partner or investor, or "back to the drawing board".

Thank you! You have been very helpful.

Another question if you have a minute. Say I go to the company who already creates a product I want to implement into my design, pitch them my idea and offer a partnership. Can they turn me down, and move forward on the idea without me?

If your idea is protected by patent, then you can attempt to enforce your patent - although patent litigation tends to be ridiculously expensive. If they deem it enforceable, you may be able to sell your patent to a competitor or "patent troll". Otherwise you can attempt to enter into a contract that protects your rights to your invention when you pitch it - but that won't necessarily prevent them from claiming (perhaps truthfully, perhaps not) that your invention is not fundamentally different from something they had already developed.

Have you seen the movie "Flash of Genius"? It's a decent answer to your question.

Downloading that movie now. Thanks!

1. Sponsored Links