Default Can a Minor Remove Her Name from a Restraining Order when She Turns 18

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Washington

My mom filed a protective restraining order for my sister and I against the parents of a family we were close with. We did not want this restraining order to be enacted since this family was a great influence in our life. (My mom thought they had "wrong intentions.")

When I turn 18 can I remove my name from this restraining order? Since I am legally an adult, I am no longer under the authority of my parents in the law, and I have the right to choose who I affiliate with.

Default Re: Can a Minor Remove Her Name from a Restraining Order when She Turns 18

Restraining orders generally are not permanent. How long is the RO to be in force?

My friend and a neighbor hate each other and have mutual ROs with all members of both families listed, which expire when the two youngest children graduate from high school. It's been a real Charlie Foxtrot, since the kids have classes together.

Default Re: Can a Minor Remove Her Name from a Restraining Order when She Turns 18

The RO is until October of 2013. I will turn 18 in August. And my mom says that she is going to extend the RO in Sept. 2013.

When you turn 18, you can petition the court to modify the order in relation to you. What will happen then? You know the facts and case history, but we don't so I'm not in a position to assess that.

If and when mom petitions to extend the order, if it still applies to you, you can take the position that the order should not be extended, or that it should not be extended in relation to you. Beyond that, again, we have no facts or context to work with.

1. Sponsored Links