Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Supervisor is Acting Disrespectfully Toward an Employee

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: CT

- Hello, I am a bartender at a local restaurant in Farmington CT and I have been working there for the past 6 years. Roughly 12-15 managers have come and gone in the time I have been there and each was a little more disrespectful than the other. I understand we all have to put up with a fair amount of stress and criticism from our boss from time to time but his new guy has done it for me. He was been working for the same company for 8 years or more, I believe. And after the last manager was fired, he was transferred to our location (about a week ago). He is the most unprofessional, disrespectful, manager I have ever come across. He threatens to fire us every single day and the the waiters/waitresses walk around with their heads down and try and stay out of his way. He has made statments such as "you might not like me and i dont care, you can go home and not come back", if there is one spot on your apron, go home and dont come back". He personally sat me down, introduced himself and then lectured me for an hour about how he would fire me if I didn't follow his rules. Then he watched me on the cameras for the entire shift. As I was making a drink for a customer, I was talking to one of the servers and she was telling me how small he makes her feel. He then walks by and says, " just to let you guys know, I need to issue three written warnings and we dont have to pay for your unemployment" (with a smirk on his face). Talk about a stressful shift. I have never had a problem with any manager in my 6 years of being their and mostly I just do as they say and put up with their derogatory statements. But being a 23 year old college student, and on my way to a new career and bright future, I thought that for once in my life I would stand up for not only myself, but the other servers and respectfully tell this guy that he just cannot treat us like this because we will not take it anymore. Do you think anything could be done here? Thank you in advance for your input.

Default Re: New General Manager Has to Be Breaking the Law

Nope. He is not breaking a single law.

Wow, thats a shame people get away with this type of behavior.

The problem is, you can't legislate how people behave. We have a great deal of freedom in this country and that include the freedom to behave like a jerk.

Quote Quoting Bartender101
    View Post
    Wow, thats a shame people get away with this type of behavior.
    That is sometimes what separates a successful business from a failing business. Obviously other managers were not able to get the job done. This one plans on it. Being a hard @@@ manager type myself, I can appreciate this. Just do your job the way he says to, keep your mouth shut and follow orders. Only be creative when it is something that will accomplish his goal or get you yelled at. Once his system is working, you may find you start making a lot of money.

I see. Thank you for your input.

One question. It may not come to anything but, is this part of a chain or franchise?

Its a small chain of about 9 restaurants, privately owned by 4 people.

Is there an HR department?

Yes there is but they are of little help as they have done nothing in the past about nay situation

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast