Default Driving with Suspended License Ticket - But Had No Idea My License Was Suspended

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: New York

Hi all, I just got a ticket tonight around 7pm. The cop told me I was driving with a suspended license.

I had no idea about a suspended license. I asked the cop what my license was suspended for because i had NO idea that my license was suspended....well he couldn't give me an answer.

So I called my local police department and I asked them why my license was suspended. The officer on the phone told me that I had an unpaid ticket in Brooklyn.

He couldn't give me any information about the ticket other then i was there july 14 of this year. I live on Long Island in Suffolk County. I have never drove my car that far at all especially anytime this year.

The cop told me to go to the DMV to print out the ticket. So I am going to have to do that, hopefully monday....

I am kinda nervous that everything on the ticket will match with my information....But how could that be??

I had other tickets before and I paid them all....its not like im trying to dodge a ticket....

What should I do? I am 22 years old and this is the first time i ever got a misdemeanor....

I really don't deserve this on my record! Please help!! I have such a headache...

Oh by the way.... This is how i got pulled over....

I was driving 45mph behind this cop and i have those xion lights....I was at least a car space behind him and he thought i was tail gating him

the speed limit was 45...I thought i was far enough anyway...but whatever im not really worried about that...

What does this say on the ticket?

http://i.imgur.com/Ci9TO.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

can anybody help me ??? please says i got 118 veiws no responses?

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the advise guys!!

Default Re: Driving with Suspended License Ticket - But Had No Idea My License Was Suspended

If it is your ticket, pay it, pay your reinstatement fees, and see if the prosecutor will give you a break on the DWLS ticket (or retain a lawyer to check / negotiate).

If it is not your ticket, let us know what you learn when you get the printout.

Meanwhile, respect the forum rules about responding to your own thread and how long you can expect to wait for a response. If you're in a hurry for answers, the phone book is full of lawyers who you can consult right away. You get to complain that we're taking too long the moment we start charging you money.

Default Re: Driving with Suspended License Ticket - But Had No Idea My License Was Suspended

Ok thanks for your reply... It is not my ticket. i never was in Brooklyn! I just wasted 2hrs at my local dmv for them to tell me that I have to wait at the Brooklyn TVB. This is insanity.. I sat next to some kid that had the same exact problem as me...unreal.

If it was my ticket I would have absolutely no problem paying it. I never got any notices to pay it too so the mailing address attached to the ticket is different then mine.

Also I went on the dmv-ny.gov website to find out about the ticket i got in brookyln the ticket number i got from the dmv is wrong...or is not attached to my social and driver license number.

The ticket number starts with AAJ...i tried to find out what that means...does it mean parking ticket?

This is complete madness im so confused have no idea what is going to happen...and im deff not going to pay this ticket also because it has been there since July2012. So the fees are going to be crazy...I would have just paid it even if its not mine but the fees are going to be crazy.

*The dmv Couldnt even tell me WHAT THE TICKET WAS FOR.....!!!!

Quote Quoting novellof
    View Post
    I was driving 45mph behind this cop and i have those xion lights....I was at least a car space behind him and he thought i was tail gating him

the speed limit was 45...I thought i was far enough anyway...but whatever im not really worried about that...

- - - Updated - - -

can anybody help me ??? please says i got 118 veiws no responses?

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the advise guys!!
    Just an FYI, generally one should be a full car length behind another car for every 10 miles per hour you are driving. Therefore you should have been 4.5 car lengths behind the other car, not one.

ok thanks ill keep that in mind next time... im more worried about this ticket that isnt mine...i guess ill just tell the judge when i go to court for this misdemeanor

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so if anyone cares or is in a similar situation....the computer at the dmv made a mistake in Brooklyn...and is making me waste hours of my time im at 8 hrs now and probably be up to 13 hrs ....this is crazy....

at least all i have to pay for is gas and my work time

I would keep receipts on the gas and if the DMV admits it was their mistake I would summarily sue them for the gas and time. I am not a lawyer and am not sure I would win but would want an example to help keep it from happening again.

1. Sponsored Links