Post How to Get an Expired Tabs Charge Reduced in Court

My question involves traffic court in the State of: Washington State

Hi - I was stopped today due to expired tabs in King County/City of Kirkland and was given a ticket for expired tabs. Renewing the tabs for the car honestly fell through the crack with our busy life this year and I was surprised I didn't have the renewed tabs on my wife's car! In my case, I had signed up for the DOL email notification earlier in the year (March 2012) for our cars (to avoid them sending a paper renewal notice) but I never got the notification email for this vehicle. After I got home today, I tracked down what happened - the notification email ended up in my Spam folder so I never saw it. I have ALWAYS paid my tabs in the past and I am a first time offender of this violation and have not had other traffic violations for years. Our tabs were due back in Julyand this is November so the time lapse is over two months but I don't know if that would come into play with getting this waived or reduced in my case.

The officer suggested I mitigate this in court to appeal to the court to get it waived or at least reduced. Does anyone know if this law (46.16A.30.5.O) would even allow the judge to reduce the penalty? Is it worth leaving work to appeal to the court for these circumstances?

The link to the law is here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.030 It's not clear to me if the Judge even has the latitude to reduce the fine.

Please let me know if anyone has feedback or experience with this. Thanks everyone!

Default Re: How to Get an Expired Tabs Charge Reduced in Court

If you go get your vehicle re-registered, all you need to do is show up in court and provide documentation that you took corrective action and the infraction should be dismissed upon payment of a $20 administrative fee.

Request a contested hearing. At the hearing, when your name is called, just say, "Your honor, I have re-registered my vehicle in hopes of mitigating this infraction. If I may approach, I have proof here that the vehicle is registered with the State at this time." The judge will most likely read over the registration, dismiss the infraction, and impose the $20 fee.

Default Re: How to Get an Expired Tabs Charge Reduced in Court

Thanks for the feedback Brendan. To be clear on this, would this same not work if I choose the "Mitigation Hearing" option? The Contested Hearing states "I did not commit the infraction" which is clearly not true as I did not have tabs on the Vehicle or an updated Registration at the time the officer pulled me over. In other words, do you think if I choose the Mitigation Hearing that they would not dismiss the infraction?

Let me know. Thanks!

1. Sponsored Links