Default Can You Evict a Tenant for Being Verbally Abusive

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Georgia

I am the homeowner and rent two rooms mainly to have fun people around though the extra money is nice. I was approached by an individual earlier this year, and after doing a basic screening myself and another roommate agreed to let them move in. Over time there have been several issues including late payment of rent, noise late at night, but more importantly unstable behavior defined as slamming doors, screaming obsenities towards myself and the other roommate.

I had them fill out a basic roommate agreeement before moving in, and am now interested in having them move back out. I am miserable in my own home, and cannot bear to have them here another day. I am considering walking away from my mortgage even though that will destroy my credit and prevent me from owning a home again anytime soon.

What options do I have, or am I stuck with this individual for the duration? If the agreement has an escape clause can I use it or could they still try and fight it, and win in court?

Default Re: Can You Evict a Tenant for Being Verbally Abusive

If you have month-to-month tenancies with your tenants, give them proper notice to end their tenancies. If they do not move by the end of the notice period, evict them.
    Quote Quoting OCGA 44-7-7. Tenancy at will -- Notice required for termination
    Sixty days' notice from the landlord or 30 days' notice from the tenant is necessary to terminate a tenancy at will.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you have month-to-month tenancies with your tenants, give them proper notice to end their tenancies. If they do not move by the end of the notice period, evict them.
    The agreement is for 1 year, and they are 3 months into the term.

Second, what grounds would I use for eviction? Am I not required to have a specific reason, such as failure to pay rent? This tenent (my roommate) is paying rent, and is being disturbingly careful not to cross any lines except for blasting me and my other roommate with explicatives. According to the law, am I stuck with this person for the entire term?

If you have a one-year lease, their being mean to you isn't likely to constitute valid grounds to evict them. Consult a local real estate lawyer with the full details.

1. Sponsored Links