Default Cleaned Unit but Owe for Damages

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California
    I just moved out of my apartment after living there for almost 2 years. I cleaned this place for 14 hours. I just got an estimate stating a total of $1800 worth of work. My deposit was $1200, so they are saying I may owe them $600. This place was pretty clean, and there were some things like the blinds were bent and the screens needed to be repaired, but overall it was clean. With all my other apartments, I have gotten back the majority of my deposit (usually no more than $200 worth of cleaning they took). I was under the impression that they would take into consideration "wear and tear"... what are my options when it comes to fighting this if they decide to take all of it plus more and "wear and tear". I stupidly did not take pictures prior to leaving keys, but supposedly the apartment take video... which I am fine with because it'll show how clean it was.

Default Re: Cleaned Unit but Owe for Damages

You have told us nothing about the charges, save apparently that you damaged some screens and were charged for their repair. Fill us in.

Sorry, here is the breakdown of their estimate:
    Cleaning: $200
    Paint touch up: $200
    Carpet Clean: $200
    Repairs/Labor: $100
    Legal fees: $400 & $600
    Other: $100
    They only marked one screen needing repair and didn't even include the blinds that got bent by my cats (which was a $600 deposit separately for them).
    On the detailed breakdown they state that things like the fridge were dirty, but I scrubbed that super clean, even behind it and on the sides. They say the borders were scuffed up, which they were prior to us moving in and it's stated on the move-in statement. They say there were crumbs in the drawers both in the kitchen AND in the bathroom.
    I can admit that there was a need for touch up paint, new screens or re-screened doors, light cleaning, carpet cleaning and things like that but nothing major. It seems to be they are overcharging.

Did that help?

Explain the legal fees. You were evicted? What is "other"? What is "repairs/labor" - the blinds? Why did the carpets need to be cleaned? Why did the paint need to be touched up - just the trim? Tell us about the problems with the paint that were "touched up". What cleaning did the landlord say was necessary, and for what reasons?

All of these are unknown... I was not evicted, I gave a 30 day notice. I have no clue what "other" is. I understand small repairs such as blinds that were bent from my baby and animals. The carpets have to be cleaned legally after a tenant moves out. The paint needed to be touched up by simple wear and tear. There were small tac holes from pictures and some of the corners got scuffed. The landlord gave me a sheet showing everything needed to be cleaned. Frankly, it sounded as if they didn't take any wear and tear into account. It needed to be the same as when I moved in.

You indicate you lived there for "almost" 2 years and gave them a 30 day notice. Were you on a month to month lease or did you break your lease early and was the notice provided in writing?

We are still trying to figure out what the "legal fees" were for.

Gail

Quote Quoting gail in georgia
    View Post
    You indicate you lived there for "almost" 2 years and gave them a 30 day notice. Were you on a month to month lease or did you break your lease early and was the notice provided in writing?

We are still trying to figure out what the "legal fees" were for.

Gail
    I suspect that the legal fees are bogus if the tenant was not evicted.

I was on a month to month lease. I gave them notice 30 days, signed a document stating that October 31, 2012 will be our last day.
    I cannot fathom why there are "legal fees"

1. Sponsored Links