I was assigned a representative payee in January of 2012 due to my mental health issues causing problems with my ability to manage my funds. I was fine with this when it happened, I knew I needed help. The original issues are resolved. My dilemma now is that I am unable to get my payee to let go of funds for things like winter clothing, printer cartridges, over the counter medicines, and/or going out for a meal or movie. My payee states that if I want theses things that I must make arrangements to do so with the $40.00 per week allowance I am given. I have asked my psychiatrist to notify SSA that I am able to handle my funds but he says he is not comfortable doing this yet. Is there any recourse for me? I have notified SSA about the difficulties with my payee. SSA said they would contact her. Shortly after filing this complaint (like 3 days) my allowance check was cut by $10.00. i received no notification for the reason for this from my payee. Can she do this? Just change what she likes when she likes? I don't mean for this to sound like i am ranting/raving. i am just very frustrated by this. I have had problems with this payee for months and all I get is a run around from SSA. i can not find anyone else to accept being my payee and there is only one company within my county that does this type of work.

I have read the Responsibilities of a Representative Payee on the SSA website. "Your payee receives your monthly benefits and must use the money to pay for your current needs, including:

Housing and utilities;
Medical and dental expenses;
Personal care items;
Clothing; and
Rehabilitation expenses (if you are disabled).
After paying those expenses, your payee can use the rest of the money to pay any past-due bills you may have, give you spending money, support your dependents or provide entertainment for you. If there is money left over, your payee should save it for you."

All my payee wants to do is cover basic living expenses, make payments on bills that I may not be legally responsible for, and put excess funds in savings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.