Default What Compensation Should Landlord Provide for Making Us Vacate During Renovations

My husband, 2 month -old baby, and I are currently the only renters in a 3-unit building. Because the other 2 are currently empty, the landlord decided they wanted to refinish the hardwood floors in the entire building (except for our apt). This includes the entryway and stairs outside our door, therefore creating dangerous dust and fumes for us.

They gave us less than a week's notice to vacate for 6 nights. On the day before we were scheduled to return, they called to say there were delays and there wad likely still another week of work left.

What compensation are we entitled to for all of this? They originally agreed to deduct 6 days of rent and reimburse us for 2 nights in a hotel. This has now turned into a HUGE inconvenience for us. There is nothing in our lease that alludes to this type of situation.

Default Re: What Compensation Should Landlord Provide for Making Us Vacate During Renovations

You must be the only family in the US, where going on a week long vacation is logistically impossible!!! I suggest you go to a weekly stay hotel, which can usually be had for around $175 - $225, for a week. Don't accept the "2 night" offer. Tell them you want a flat $200, in addition to the weeks rent, at minimum. I would negotiate for at least half a month, to cover food and cleanup, in addition to the $200.

Default Re: What Compensation Should Landlord Provide for Making Us Vacate During Renovations

Was this a hotel you picked out, or one they picked for you?

The difference between the compensation you've received, and the cost of staying in the hotel an additional week, is what?

What offer has the landlord made?

As you were told when you posted, laws vary by state. Please belatedly follow the instruction to identify your state.

We are in PA (Philly).

Landlord said they'd pay for 2 nights in a hotel that cost up to $120/nt, which we did. We only needed to stay in a hotel 2 nights and have stayed out of town with family the rest of the time. I estimate we've spent $200 so far in transportation expenses since my husband is having to commute a far distance daily.

The original offer, before the delays, was to deduct the 2 hotel nights and the daily rent for each day we were away. They have more or less now put the ball in our court as to what compensation we are requesting. Would it be fair to request that they deduct the 2 hotel nights, 2 weeks rent we were not able to live there, and our transportation expenses?

You can request anything you want, but realize that this is a contracts case and the landlord is only obligated to make you whole. This would be the difference between the hotel cost and daily rent, not full deduction of pro-rated rent and re-imbursement of hotel. If they did, you would be in a better position, financially, than you were before. I would ask for what you want first ( Full hotel, transportation and all pro-rated rent back), but be willing to settle for what you are actually out.

This being a HUGE INCONVENIENCE for you means nothing.
    LL offered 6 days of rent deductions and 2 nights in hotel.

He only has to offer you the other days in ways of a hotel or not paying rent for those days.

You can offer a compromise, but it basically up to LL.
    Anything less than what I stated above, I would refuse.

1. Sponsored Links