Default Handgun Purchase Permit Denial

My question involves civil rights in the State of: MI
    Recently denied handgun purchase permit in MI and given a appeal of denial form (from NICS check) because of a felony drug arrest in 1984 in AZ. I have lived in MI since 1984. Called around court houses in AZ to try and find my arrest record from almost 30 yrs ago to find out what exactly I was charged with. From what I understand my case was heard in a lower court and the disposition of the case was I was charged with a misdemeanor 1 I think I paid a small fine and was released. I did not serve any jail time or probation. And have not been in any kind of trouble since then(except some traffic violations). Is there any way I can get my 2nd amendment rights restored? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Default Re: Handgun Purchase Permit Denial

I would obtain a certified copy of the case disposition showing a misdemeanor conviction and then appeal or reapply.

Default Re: Handgun Purchase Permit Denial

a misdemeanor can disqualify you from being issued a permit to purchase.

18 U.S.C. 922

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person -(1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishableby imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess
    in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receiveany firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported ininterstate or foreign commerce.
    Note: it does not require that you were sentenced to more than one year but merely that it was a possible sentence.

I suggest you become a little more sure of the crime for which you were convicted. If there was a possibility of a term exceeding one year, you are disqualified per federal law from possessing a handgun.

I have not checked Arizona law but you should to determine whether your civil rights were automatically restored after some period of time (I know Texas does this for certain crimes) or if there is a means to have your civil rights restored under Arizona law based on whatever crime you were convicted of.

1. Sponsored Links