Default Charged for Services Never Provided

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Georgia.

Cobb county water has charged a sewer fee based on my water used. My home was never connected to the sewer. I contacted them after I found this out last weekend because my septic tank failed. The issue I have is not them refunding me. They said they will do that after reverifying I'm not connected. My issue is my mother and I have been paying the bill for 15+ years in my grandparents names. They passed many years ago but we never switched the names. They have charged this fee for years, collected the payments but refuse to even provide a process to have this reviewed. Do we have grounds to sue for these charges? I put the water bill in my name 2 years ago this December.

Default Re: Charged for Services Never Provided

Not sure what you are asking. The said they would refund what you were charged as soon as they verify you are not connected. As to what they charged your grandparents; a perfect reason one should not procrastinate in changing the name on the account.

Who actually owns the house and if it changed hands from your grandparents to you, when did that happen?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Not sure what you are asking. The said they would refund what you were charged as soon as they verify you are not connected. As to what they charged your grandparents; a perfect reason one should not procrastinate in changing the name on the account.

Who actually owns the house and if it changed hands from your grandparents to you, when did that happen?
    The house is owned by my mother. She inherited it about 7- 10 years ago when my grandmother passed. I realize we shouldn't have procrastinated in the account change but we paid all her bills for years before she passed and didn't see the need till I moved into it. In looking over my statements from my bank they collected somewhere around 8-10k over this time in fees for sewer use that was never used. We were hoping to have some recourse to get at least some of those fees back to offset the 15k in cost to connect/lay new pipe for the now required sewer connection. My family thought the home was on sewer (including my grandparents) until the septic tank blew up last weekend. I'm asking this because in my humble opinion the public utility shouldn't be allowed to charge the fee with out verifying the service. I think the statute of limitations should be fine due to the recent discovery. Thank you in advance for any help.

You have several problems:

1. the house isn't your house.
    2. the account wasn't in your name until 2 years ago.

You will not be entitled to any over payment beyond the 2 years you have had the account in your name. Prior to that, you may have paid it for your grandmother or mother but that does not mean you would have a right to collect the over payments anymore than you would be liable for underpayments from before you claimed responsibility for the bill.

1. Sponsored Links