Default Car Burned With Title Inside, What Happens if I Leave it With the Towing Company

My car burst into flames today, the Tarantino kind fireballs and all. The tow company (which also is a salvage yard) wants to charge me $260 for the tow and $30 a day to hold it there until I get a replacement title from the BMV (which was burned in the fire.) They said they can't scrap it until they get that title, but it would be more money than the car is worth to go down this road.

If I have a completely obliterated car, is it possible to just let this towing company keep the car without having to apply for and give them a title? Will they just ignore the formalities and scrap it eventually, or will I get some bill in the mail/ruined credit if I just let this go?

Default Re: Burned (Totalled) Car Towed to Salvage/Tow Business, Lost Title in Fire

They could possibly sue you for the additional months of storage they retain the vehicle for. In many states, you only need to go to the title office in person and they will print it off for you then.

Default Re: Car Burned With Title Inside, What Happens if I Leave it With the Towing Company

You can get a speed title, and have the replacement title mailed to you in one business day; probably two to three days until you receive it. In some states you can get a title on the spot, although I don't see that described on the Indiana BMV website - it's worth investigating to see if that option is available at any offices.

The impound lot can keep running up the storage fee until they decide to try to exercise a lien to take ownership and sell the vehicle - so you can end up owing a lot more than a few days of additional storage.

Default Re: Car Burned With Title Inside, What Happens if I Leave it With the Towing Company

You can obtain a title from motor vehicle, or let the car sit in the impound lot at $30.00 a day.

If it were me, I'd get my ass to motor vehicle first thing in the morning.

$30 a day works out to be $900 a month. Times that by three months and the bill for the tow, your looking at owing the tow company around $3,000.

If you don't pay, the tow company can file charges for vehicle abandonment (depending on your state), and the state will revoke your drivers license and the court will give the tow company a judgment for there money.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links