Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pulled Over for Going 168 in a 70 MPH Zone, 98 MPH Over the Limit

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I was caught speeding but doesn't make sense I most definitely wasn't going 168 in a 70 zone

I have a court date with mandatory appearance

Can I hire a Lawyer?

What to people recommend from past experiences?

Thank you!

Default Re: I Was Pulled Over Going 168 in a 70 Zone. Court Date Coming Up What is My Next St

Quote Quoting DOntspeed123
    View Post
    I was caught speeding but doesn't make sense I most definitely wasn't going 168 in a 70 zone
    Make/model of the car you were driving?

What VC section were you cited for?

View Post
    Can I hire a Lawyer?
    you should!

Default Re: I Was Pulled Over Going 168 in a 70 Zone. Court Date Coming Up What is My Next St

168!?!? I too am curious what car you were driving.

It was a Chevy camaro. My charge was 22348(B) VC- l

- - - Updated - - -

It was a chevy camaro I was trying to catch a flight in San Francisco. I dont think I was going that fast

So, you really don't know how fast you were going then, right?

Excessive Speed and Designated Lane Use

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.
    (b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:
    It would appear that as long as you were exceeding 100 mph, how fast you were going is irrelevant.

View Post
    It was a Chevy camaro.
    As you may already know, there is a variety of Chevy Camaros on the market... If you're speaking of the 2012/2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1 with a rated top speed of 184mph, then you didn't top out at 168mph...

View Post
    I was trying to catch a flight in San Francisco.
    Catch it before or after it took off?

View Post
    I dont think I was going that fast
    ^That^ could mean you were going faster...

And as jk has indicated, all the officer would have to prove is that you were in excess of 100mph.

Typically, what happens in cases where 22348 is charged, and I've seen them as high a 116 on this forum alone, a pro se defendant will end up losing the case, paying the $900 or so in fines, taking the two violation points on the driving record and suffering through a 30 day court imposed license suspension.

With an attorney, the typical defendant might possibly get a negotiated plea for a lesser charge of 99mph for 22349, he'd pay an increased fine, get the one violation point erased through a court ordered traffic school, also get the court imposed license suspension or some sort of combination of any/all of the above. All of which must be approved by the court and initilly negotiated with the citing officer by the attorney.

In this case, and even with an attorney, I highly doubt that a court, any court, will accept anything less that the original 22348 being charged, and will likely increase the fine from the recommended $900 to anywhere up to the maximum of $2130... Plus thee will be no doubt as to the 30 day license suspension, possibly longer if the court can manage a way.

But yeah, the only reason why I would recommend an attorney is simply to be there to prevent you from incriminating yourself into another more serious charge. The simple fact that you could have possibly passed another vehicle at that speed, would make for an easy conviction of misdemeanor reckless driving under VC 23109; and you'd be looking at some jail time and a permanent criminal record at that point!

I think it would have been a bit cheaper to book a flight at the last minute than endanger everyone on the road and drive at a reckless speed. I am sure you missed said flight and had to catch another anyway. What was the payoff? Must have been something pretty important to risk everyone's lives on the road. Did they let you drive away from the scene, or did you leave in cuffs in the back of a patrol car?

I would have held you for a while to make sure every last T was crossed and I was dotted if I was the officer.

I'm trying to figure out how the police caught him?

And, yes, I would think that if he were traveling at 168 MPH, he was having to weave in and out of traffic and that would be more than enough for misdemeanor reckless driving per VC 23103.

Thank you!

I'm curious how far the OP was from SFO when he was ticketed. Do you have any idea how they measured your speed? If this was near the airport and it was foggy, could the weather be generating spurious radar speed readings?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast