Default How Does SSI Repayment Work

I received a notice of overpayment for about 20 months worth.on quite a few months i was only over the resource limit anywhere from $39.50 to $300. but i'm forced to pay back my full 674 or 694 SSI check for those months regardless, is this normal?. shouldn't the amount i'm over the limit be subtracted each month? my math has me a good $4000 below the amount they say is owed.

Default Re: SSI Overpayment

Unfortunately they do have the right to take your full check - but on the plus side, that means it will be paid off that much sooner. Have you physically gone down to the office to see if they'll agree to take out a monthly amount instead of it all?

Did you request a full accounting from SSA?

(The reason I ask is that there were several occasions before my late husband passed where he'd literally get three letters - all mailed the same day! - saying he was owed extra, saying he'd been overpaid, and wait...he was owed more money. Craziness, I tell you)

Talking to SSA Monday.....apparently my whole life insurance caused most of my limit issues because of the "face value"

- - - Updated - - -

Talking to SSA Monday.....apparently my whole life insurance caused most of my limit issues because of the "face value"

Quote Quoting neece2
    View Post
    I received a notice of overpayment for about 20 months worth.on quite a few months i was only over the resource limit anywhere from $39.50 to $300. but i'm forced to pay back my full 674 or 694 SSI check for those months regardless, is this normal?. shouldn't the amount i'm over the limit be subtracted each month? my math has me a good $4000 below the amount they say is owed.
    If you are over the resource limit, you are ineligible for SSI in that month. The entire SSI check is then considered an overpayment and you were sent that notice. Now, you can request that SSA waive some or all of the overpaid amount based on the fact that you were only over the resource limit by $300. You need to complete an SSA 632 and ask for this. It would also be the cash surrender value of your life insurance policy that is the countable resource, and that is going to increase every year. How much is the face value, the cash surrender value and what is the purpose of your life insurance policy?

Thanks for the info....the cash value is about $800, and I just contacted my insurance to have it relinquished. I receive SSDI as well, and it looks like my SSI will be withheld until the overpayment is paid. does the SSI i'm suppose to receive go towards my over payment or is that wishful thinking on my part?

If SSI still considers you over the resource limit, then nothing is going toward paying back your overpayment. If you can cancelling the life insurance and receiving a check from them, you could offer it as a compromise as part of a request for waiver because it would be against equity and good conscience. It is a good idea to pay down your overpayment when you still have money to do so rather than pay it back later when you don't have the money.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0502260025

Does ownership of an life insurance policy matter? The whole life insurance I had stated my mother has ownership but it is for me. she is the one who canceled, and the $800 is being sent TO her. shouldnt that have not counted as resource for me, if thats the case? the local SSA brought that point to my attention. i would owe 10k in overpayment instead of 16k.

If you are not the owner of a life insurance policy, it is not a resource to you.

1. Sponsored Links