Default Unemployment Notice Says I Voluntarily Left My Job but I Was Laid Off

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Illinois

Ok heres my background. I worked for Chrysler Assembly plant in belvidere in June and Jully. The hours were really bad so I found another job Gypsum Supply company of rockford, better hours same pay and I took it. I worked for Gypsum Supply Company through august and found a Job as a Union carpenter (which is what I am ) Which of course paid nearly 3 times as much as Gypsum and I was working 12 hour days 7 days a week. Needless to say I quit working for Gypsum to work for MCT. I worked for MCT for 4 and a half weeks (all of which I earned between 1200 and 4500 per week) And was laid off oct 3rd. From sept 4th to oct 3rd.

So when I filed I reported all three jobs on the paperwork (Because I think I am suposed to right? ) I reported That i quit Chrysler, And I quit Gypsum And I was Laid off From MCT. Now the question is. Does it mater that I quit Chrysler and Gypsum to take higher pay or beter hours if the last employer I worked for Laid me off? I have a pink slip from MCT stating that I worked from this date to that and that I was laid off due to lack of work. Signed and dated. And I also worked from sept 4th to oct 3rd. Which is 5 weeks of work and a total of 26 12 hour days during that time period.

I was sent a notice for an interview for questions which were raised about my fileing. Concerning 601a, Voluntarily leaving employment. I did not leave my last job voluntarily. In fact I was hoping Id get the whole winter out of them but i guess i didnt. So should I be worried? Am I going to get my benifits denied to me because of a technicality that I am Unaware of ? My interview is 10/19. I would really appreciate any advice or information anyone can give me. I know 7 days isnt a long time but it can be if your stressing out about wether or not your going to be able to pay your rent because of a techincality. Would love for someone to put my mind at ease.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read my post. And a special thank you to anyone who responds.

John,

Default Re: I Was Sent an Interview Notice Saying I Voluntarily Left My Job but I Didnt

It's a little unclear - at the time you were laid off from MCT, was that the only job at which you were currently working? You'd already quit both the others?

Default Re: I Was Sent an Interview Notice Saying I Voluntarily Left My Job but I Didnt

Yes I quit chrysler mid to late july. Before working for Gypsum. (The hours would have conflicted I was working 10 at chrysler and 12s at gypsum) And I quit Gypsum before Starting at MCT. (Again the hours conflicted i was working 12s while working for either company. ) So MCT was my one and only job at the time I was laid off.

Probably not a good idea to use your name AND name names of empoyers. Remember, there's Google (not that you're posting anything bad, but ...).

Whatever the claim application asks, you answer, yes.

"Does it mater that I quit Chrysler and Gypsum to take higher pay or beter hours if the last employer I worked for Laid me off?"

It should, no. But who knows what the unemployment regs talk about when attributing an unemployment claim to a prior employer because you didn't work long enough at the most recent one. The prior employers get notice of the claim, but I seriously doubt that the unemployment folks bother to note the finer details: that they are being attributed with the claim because a subsequent short-term employer laid you off. That old employer correctly notes that you quit -- as you did on your application. Have no idea why unemployment folks can't follow the fact pattern here.

"So should I be worried?"

Asking strangers this question isn't terribly productive. I'd just deal with it at the time of the interview.

"Am I going to get my benifits denied to me because of a technicality that I am Unaware of ?"

We can't definitively give you an answer, but no, you oughtn't.

I'd feel free to contact the unemployment folks if you like to see whether you can hammer out whether this is someone missing forest for trees, or you can wait until the interview call.

Previous employers will sometimes take you back. Did you call Gypsum and ask?

Ok after doing a little research into Il state law reguarding my situation. The statute listed in the leter they sent to me reads as follows.

"A. An individual shall be ineligible for benefits for the week in which he has left work voluntarily without good cause attributable to the employing unit and, thereafter, until he has become reemployed and has had earnings equal to or in excess of his current weekly benefit amount in each of four calendar weeks which are either for services in employment, or have been or will be reported pursuant to the provisions of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act by each employing unit for which such services are performed and which submits a statement certifying to that fact. "

So if I am corect about this and I think I am. The fact that I left the other two employers in months past has nothing to do with my eligibility because I was employed with MCT for 5 weeks in which I earned in excess of my benifit amount. And should there be a question reguarding that fact, I of course have the 5 pay stubs and a "Pink slip" From MCT acknowledging my lay off due to lack of work. Anyone feel like confirming my analysis of the situation?

so, in the letter they sent you, did they say you were approved or not for UI benefits?

In the leter it says theres a question reguarding statute 601a. And it was not a denial but that an fact finding interview had to be conducted before i would be eligible.

that means they are investigating the facts of the case before granting it. Based on the section you posted, you should qualify but I have done no independent research on that.

1. Sponsored Links