Default Missed or Undiagnosed Compartment Syndrome

My question involves medical malpractice in the state ofennsylvania in july 2011 i had a calcaneus fracture [heel bone] motorcycle accident . i was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery where they closed up my wound . i was then told i would need another surgery to fix my heel bone [plate and 9 screws] . i had to stay in the hospital for 3 days untill they did the main surgery . the pain was horrible . when you have an injury like this there is a risk for compartment syndrome , wich is severe swelling and elevated pressure in a specific compartment underneath your skin . this can cause nerve damage contracture and tissue death if not decompressed immediatly . they never really checked for it in my case . i went to have the main surgery 3 days later at 7:30 in the morning after the surgery i felt fine because the put a nerve block in that totaly numbs your limb. that wore off at about 10 that night and the pain was so bad my jaw locked up it was unbelievable , two interns came in tried to tell me to calm down but i could not , they cut my splint open and elevated my foot and evetually gave me something that just knocked me out . the next day at about 11:00 in the morning the same intern came in looking very worried and told me how sorry she was for what happened the night before, then she quickly asked if i could move my toes and i could a little bit then she moved them herself and i almost jumped through the roof and she said sorry twice then she quickly left the room . later i found that this is a test to see if you may have compartment syndrome in your foot [ pain with passive dorseflextion of toes] if you do they are sapposed to do pressure tests wich they never did. i went home a couple of days later still in horrible pain so i assumed the splint was too tight . after about 4 days i went to the emergency room and they lust changed the splint . about a week later i went to the doctors office where they removed the splint and replaced it wth a boot thats when i noticed all the nerve damage i had i couldnt spread my toes apart . they feel like they are glued together and i also have extremely painfull nerve damage on the bottom of my foot . after a couple of months i noticed my toes where begining to claw they are like fixed and wont flex right anymore. when i told the doctor this he looked concerned but quickly changed the subject and any time i would bring it up he would get real defensive and just not discuss it . i later found out on my own that all the symptoms i have are classic signs of a missed or undiagnosed compartment syndrome. i am left with problems walking every day and from what i have read they are permanent. any advise on if i have a case for malpractice would be helpfull .

Default Re: Missed or Undiagnosed Compartment Syndrome

You would need to have your complete records evaluated by a competent local med-mal attorney.

Thanks I think I Will how do I get my medical records without raising any suspicion That i want to sue them ?

Some of what you describe can be attributed to the actual injury, surgery, or intentional constriction and immobilization of your foot/ankle. You are guessing right now as to what is your diagnosis. That is meaningless in a med mal suit. You need to have another doctor review you and your records so first, you can be treated properly and second, to determine if the previous treatment was actually improper.

If there is treatment available for problems you are having now, you need to have that taken care of. There is a 2 year statute of limitation in PA although they do have a discovery rule that makes the clock start when you discover the injury rather than when it actually happened. That would extend your time to file a bit but from what you say, not much.

so, you need to have a doctor diagnosis your problem before you can determine if there was malpractice. Get on it ASAP. The clock is running.

1. Sponsored Links