Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Failure to Move Over for Police Car, Foreign License, No Last Name on the Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: FL
    Last week a friend of mine visiting from Russia managed to get pulled over for not moving over a lane for an emergency vehicle (a police car parked on the grass). You'd think he'd just get a warning, but that particular day a foreign driver license wasn't a deterrent for the cop who felt particularly inclined to write a ticket for $136 (can't blame a guy for trying to bring in some revenue, right?) My friend's last name isn't even on the ticket since the officer confused the last and middle names, although his russian or intl license number and the rental car plate numbers are identified correctly. He owns some property in the Orlando area and will likely be back here from time to time. My friend, being a surprisingly law-abiding visitor, actually attempted to pay the ticket online, but wasn't able to do so. I am wondering whether not paying the ticket at all will actually have negative consequences considering the lack of last name on the ticket.

Default Re: Failure to Move Over for Police Car, Foreign License, No Last Name on the Ticket

A clerical error generally won't get the ticket tossed.

Perhaps when your friend is visiting again you can give him some lessons on basic road rules.

Default Re: Failure to Move Over for Police Car, Foreign License, No Last Name on the Ticket

(can't blame a guy for trying to bring in some revenue, right?)
    can't blame a cop for writing a valid ticket, right?

Do you believe there is some reason a foreigner should not be held to the same laws as everybody else is? One of the requirements of being allowed to drive in any state is to have some knowledge of the laws of the germane state.

as to the name issue;

put this:

My friend's last name isn't even on the ticket since the officer confused the last and middle names, although his russian or intl license number
    together with this:

and the rental car plate numbers are identified correctly.
    If his name is the one on the car rental info, his name is available, if they want to bother chasing it down. I am not sure if Florida does this but in some states the ticket would simply be charged to the rental car agency and, due to the contracts most of them use, the rental car agency just charges it to the renters credit card (if they used one which is an almost universal requirement).

Of course you could always pay the ticket for your friend and he reimburse you. I'm sure if you have friend send the ticket to you and you take it down to the courthouse, they will figure out what to do so you can pay them.

Hey, look what I found online:

1.5 - Florida’s Move Over Law
    Florida’s Move Over Law protects law enforcement officers, emergency workers and tow truck drivers stopped
    along roadways while performing their jobs. Violating the Move Over Law puts both yourself and a public safety
    professional at risk of injury or death and can result in fines and points on your license.
    • On a two-lane roadway, you are required to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit.
    • If the speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, you must slow down to five miles per hour.
    • If you are driving on an interstate or roadway with multiple lanes of travel in the same direction, and you approach an emergency or law enforcement vehicle parked along the roadway, you must vacate the lane closest to that vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so. If you are not able to safely move over, you must slow down to a speed of 20 MPH below the posted speed limit unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer.
    Maybe you should get a copy of the Florida Driver's Handbook and send it to your friend so he can brush up on the laws for his next trip here.

(Before we get yelled at...)

Fwiw, I'm not a US citizen and I was neither born nor raised here. I did, however, have to learn the rules of the road when I began driving in the US. My nationality and immigrant status are not (and should not be) an excuse for not knowing the rules, or disobeying the rules, or anything else of that nature.

Quote Quoting rus
    View Post
    My friend, being a surprisingly law-abiding visitor, actually attempted to pay the ticket online, but wasn't able to do so.
    That's likely due to the fact that it is missing some information. So even if the officer attempted to file it, it was returned to him by the court. Don't fret though, it will only take some time for the officer to contact the rental agency and get the information from their records. So your friend can still continue to be the law abiding citizen he's always been.

This is what he was probably cited for (subsection (b)):
    316.126 Operation of vehicles and actions of pedestrians on approach of authorized emergency vehicle.

This statute describes the consequences of failing to appear/pay:
    318.15 Failure to comply with civil penalty or to appear; penalty.

Которые в основном говорит, что если он не в состоянии заплатить, он смотрит на кучу дополнительных штрафов и доплат, но что более важно, его вождения привилегия будет приостановлено в штате Флорида, и так как это должно быть очевидно, что он не застрахован от получения остановился, имея это произойдет, пока приостановлено приведет к уголовному обвинению проступок ... Не тип заряда он хочет на его запись, если он планирует продолжать посещать на регулярной основе.

Thank you, guys, for your time and effort. Especially those of you who had something constructive to say To put things into perspective for you: in Russia one does not move over for police cars parked on the shoulder, let alone on the grass as was the case here. Most of the time the traffic is so bad that you are either driving on the shoulder or the grass! I really truly get the reason for our Move Over law, but, seriously, do you expect the foreign tourists visiting Disney to study FL rules of the road? Anyway, he is not contesting the validity of the ticket. I guess I'll just have to call the courthouse, since I don't feel like driving from Boca to Orlando and he's already back in RU. Rental agency charging the fine to his credit card would actually be the preferred course of action here...I just don't want him to get into any more trouble while we are figuring this out.
    thanks again!

Yes - I absolutely DO expect ANY driver to know and obey the rules of the road.

Why YOU don't, is beyond me.

That Guy: Thank you!
    P.S. Do not ever use that translating software again. I know both Russian and English and I cannot figure out for the life of me what some parts of this translation are supposed to mean. Had a good laugh though )
    Cheers!.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Yes - I absolutely DO expect ANY driver to know and obey the rules of the road.

Why YOU don't, is beyond me.
    I say this in the most respectful way possible, Sir: Life will get much easier once you get that stick out of your a$$. Thank you for your concerns.

It's Ma'am, pumpkin.

Quote Quoting rus
    View Post
    Had a good laugh though )
    Then it served its purpose!

Quote Quoting rus
    View Post
    ....but, seriously, do you expect the foreign tourists visiting Disney to study FL rules of the road? Anyway, he is not contesting the validity of the ticket. I guess I'll just have to call the courthouse, since I don't feel like driving from Boca to Orlando and he's already back in RU. Rental agency charging the fine to his credit card would actually be the preferred course of action here...I just don't want him to get into any more trouble while we are figuring this out.
    thanks again!
    For some odd reason I don't see Russian police being forgiving towards a tourist who did something that endangered them, in fact, quite the opposite, I imagine they would be obnoxious and abusive (no disrespect intended, of course) of course I'm probably wrong.

I am sure you've heard of the saying: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"....

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast