Default Walmart Took Down My Wrong Name and Address

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

I misunderstood where the "point of sale" ended and walked out of Walmart to get a cart but I had merchandise in a reusable shopping bag.

Anyway.... I knew they would call the police if I didn't supply my ID so I gave the LP my DL. The thing is, my DL is from out of state. There was $40 worth of merchandise in my reusable shopping bag (nothing in my purse--I wasn't intending to steal) and they file criminal charges after $25. The LP did not believe me and was being an ass. Well, my DL supplies my name like this--- Last, First, Middle. He got confused and wrote down my middle name as my first. He did make a copy of my DL and has my DL #. I am staying at a friends house temporarily but will be moving back in with my parents. I gave them my friends address.

He told me that someone from "legal" comes to pick up the forms and files them with the court every so often. What happens if they file the charges under the wrong name and send them to the wrong address?

The entire thing was a HUGE misunderstanding anyway. But, I am on probation in another county and have been doing well for nearly 2 years and would obviously like to keep this from being revealed to my PO. And, I am not going to mention it when I call in and leave my message tomorrow.

Would it help if I got a new DL in the state of Ohio? Or, can I say my ID was stolen when I get my new DL?

Or, should I do nothing at all and just let them believe this person who has my middle name as my first was charged? Will a warrant go out for my arrest if I get a new DL? Or, will my DL # play into it at all if they file the charges under the wrong name and a warrant goes out for that person? When they file charges do they include the DL #? I know how to check the court database so I will know if charges are filed under my name.

What do you think is going to happen here? I am so upset over this.

Default Re: Walmart Took Down My Wrong Name and Address

I think you are incredibly naive or lying. As you already have a criminal record, I'd guess option B. You can likely expect a warrant, if you do not pay the demand letter that arrives at your friends. If you are lucky and the police do not contact you, all they will receive is money order from a person with a name similar to yours, paying the demand letter.

Obviously if they have a copy of your photo ID the name error can be easily rectified. You lied about your address, which isn't apt to impress somebody reviewing the case that the incident was an accident. You can ask your friend what he will say to the police if they come knocking on his door.

I'm not thinking that layering on additional lies is going to make you look innocent.

If they feel motivated, they will cross reference your DL name info with the # and your current info and they will figure it out. They are not as dumb as you hope they are! And knock off the "I *really* wasn't trying to steal anything" stuff...they hear that all day long. Bottom line is: you got caught with merchandise you did not pay for and you are a thief. Accept it. Nobody believes otherwise. Read some of the stories about people who claimed the same thing here on this board: no sympathy at all. When you get to court, plead Not Guilty and ask for a PD. Accept whatever ACD or pretrial intervention you can get and pay your fines. Stop stealing...

1. Sponsored Links