Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maximum Total Hours Allowed to Work in One Shift

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: Florida

Hello!

I was wondering if there are any restrictions in the law concerning the amount of hours an employee can be scheduled to work in one shift.

I'm not certain laws vary depending on the industry but this question concerns security officers in the security industry. I have been told in the past a supervisor should not be scheduling an officer to work shifts longer than 12 hours and there should be about 8-12 hours rest time in between shifts. I'm not sure if this was based on a moral/productivity principle or legal standards.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Maximum Total Hours Allowed to Work in One Shift

Not based on legal standards.

So, to better clarify: there is no legal limit as to how many hours an employee can be scheduled to work in one shift, right?

For general employment, no, there is no legal limit to how many hours can be scheduled to work in one shift. There are some industry- and state-specific exceptions. Off hand I don't know if Florida has such a requirement for security officers, but I personally would not feel safe with a security guard who had been working for longer than 12 hours and who did not have sufficient rest between shifts.

Thank you for your insight. I sincerely appreciate it. I would like to look into this matter a bit more. I couldn't agree with you any more either. The most amount of time I know about an officer being scheduled for duty has been 13-14 hour days for about 3 days consecutively. There are 24 hours in a day so it would seem like there's adequate amount of time left over to rest before the officer begins his/her next shift.

Would you happen to know of a good base/starting point to begin my research?

And again, thank you for your input.

I have some experience with the security industry, and it isn't classified the same way as some other industries, like airline piloting, police. EMS, etc. In other words, it doesn't have any special classification at all and is treated the same way as most other occupations. I have done the research on this, several times, and it always comes to this. I don't think you'll do any better.

I've worked 33 hr straight ...

I apologize if I gave off the impression that I was going to do better than you in my research efforts. I suppose what I was driving at was potentially accessing some of the same/similar resources as you to read more about it. I thank you for your time though. You have helped clarify a lot and I am confident the validity of your response. I never doubted it for a moment.

In employment law an action is legal unless a specific law says it's not. So it's not that you're going to find a law giving an employer permission to schedule an employee for x number of hours; it's that there isn't a law that puts a limit on them.

I see where you're coming from much better now! You've been such a great help. I appreciate you sharing your findings with me. I know more than I knew prior to our discussion.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast