Default American Flag to Be Taken Down

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

My issue is that i am living in my apartments and the office has informed me that I must take down my flag, so I did, but they told me I could have it on a pole, now they are telling me that I have to take this one down as well, it is in the lease to have nothing attached to the outside of the building but I tried to look up the law about it as much as I can and from what I read it says that I can fly the flag as long as its in the proper form (not upside down, in bad weather, torn ect...) Please help me out I only have a few days to figure this out, I need to know if I'm in the wrong or not, as a veteran I only want to display my pride in the thing I went and fought for, thank you in advance.
    -Ryan

Default Re: American Flag to Be Taken Down

how do you intend on flying the flag without causing damage to the building?

the first one was put up against the wall held in by tacks, this one is on the pole, so I suppose I cannot have the flag up without the wood being penetrated.

tacks damage the property. Even if they didn't have a rule against hanging something from your balcony, they can prevent you from damaging their property.

what wood were you attaching to? a window frame, a balcony railing, something else?

I suppose it would be the balcony railing, more an extension of the front porch area leading to the stairs.
    what would be the best way to display it that would allow me to, i'll comply with the management as long as I can fly my flag, I really do not wish to move again so soon.

is this an individual entrance for you or a common entry? If a common entryway, I don't think anything is going to work for you. If it is an individual entrance, maybe a free standing pole in a weighted base (like maybe a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement with a pole mounted in that).

It is an individual entrance, I plan to talk to the owner of the apartments in the next few days about the situation.
    I'm not trying to cause trouble just want to fly my flag.

good luck and don't hesitate to, cautiously, let him feel ashamed for not allowing you to fly the flag.

Try the inside of your window.

1. Sponsored Links