Default Car Stolen from Valet

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Ohio

I went to a restaurant in Columbus, Ohio this past saturday night and had valet park my car. After dinner I told the valet that we were going next door and asked if I needed to move my Jeep. He gave
    me my keys back and told me that it was ok to leave it in the valet lot behind the restaurant. Upon returning to the lot my Jeep was nowhere to be found. Of course the restaurant and valet were closed
    so I called the police and filed a report. At 5:45 in the morning my Jeep was recovered ONE block from the valet lot. My Jeep was locked, no damage and nothing missing. Valet tag still on my console.
    The police having "recovered my stolen vehicle" had it towed to the impond lot and I had to pay close to $300 to get it out. The restaurant and valet are saying that they are not responsible because it
    was stolen. Why would someone steal my Jeep and then park it one block from where it was left, lock it back up and do no damage? I think the valet is being dishonest about where it was parked. How
    do I go about being reimbursed and who exactly is to blame?

Default Re: Car Stolen from Valet

Since you appeared to have the keys it would appear that whatever minimal bailment might have existed most likely was no longer in effect. Unless you have some proof that the restaurant moved your car to the street, you're not going to get "reimbursed."

You were the one who claimed your vehicle was stolen, not the valet company. It is safe to infer that they didn't move the car after returning the keys to you.

It sounds like the actual problem is that you misunderstood where your car would be and mistakenly assumed it was stolen, but you would have to be more clear on the facts.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You were the one who claimed your vehicle was stolen, not the valet company. It is safe to infer that they didn't move the car after returning the keys to you.

It sounds like the actual problem is that you misunderstood where your car would be and mistakenly assumed it was stolen, but you would have to be more clear on the facts.
    You don't think OP was drinking that night, do you?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post

Or...the valet lot was full and the valet who parked it had to park it on the street, but forgot about that when he gave the OP back the keys. Still..in OP's shoes I would have looked around in the surrounding area a bit before reporting the car stolen.

Either way, unless it was taken from the valets care, they have no responsibility. The fact the owner didn't know where his car was and the valet had gone home, doesn't make it stolen nor does it make the valet negligent. The tow was legitimate given he had reported his car stolen. There's nobody at fault other than him to sue for reimbursement.

1. Sponsored Links