Default College student registration question

I'm from New Jersey and I am now going to school in Florida. I just recently got a ticket because the police said that I failed to register in Florida. I thought since I was a college student that I did not have to register because my permanent address is still New Jersey. I am not employed in Florida either and I know that it is one of the criteria to have to switch over. All I do in Florida is go to college full time. Can someone inform me of the registration rules in Florida?

Default Re: College student registration question

The ticket relates to your motor vehicle registration only? It is currently lawfully registered in New Jersey? You have a New Jersey driver's license, and they found that acceptable?

Yes it is only pertaining to my car registration. The police officer stated that I need to change my registration from New Jersey to Florida, but I could keep my New Jersey license, which he state he have no problems with my license. I don't think that makes sense at all. My New Jersey registration is also valid for the year. He also stated that I needed Florida insurance, but did not put that on the ticket.
    Michelle

Florida's DMV site states,
    Quote Quoting Why must I register my motor vehicle?
    In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.
    You can dig for a more specific statute here. I suspect that, possibly based on something you told him, the officer concluded that you are now a resident of Florida. I would suggest as a starting point, contacting the DMV and asking for a further explanation of Florida's rules as to when you must register in the state.

Do you "live" on campus? Or drive home every night.

As Aaron said, there's much more to it than where you "live". For example, American soldiers in Iraq are residents of the state that they came from....they're not residents of Iraq.

i believe he means does the OP maintain an apartment or similar living situation as opposed to living on campus in a dorm, and going back to new jersey for the summer.

from the FL statutes: most relevant part is at the end, but I included the rest for reference.

320.02 Registration required; application for registration; forms.--
    1(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle which is operated or driven on the roads of this state shall register the vehicle in this state. The owner or person in charge shall apply to the department or to its authorized agent for registration of each such vehicle on a form prescribed by the department. No registration is required for any motor vehicle which is not operated on the roads of this state during the registration period.

1Note.--Section 28, ch. 2006-290, amended subsection (1), effective July 1, 2008, to read:
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle that is operated or driven on the roads of this state shall register the vehicle in this state. The owner or person in charge shall apply to the department or to its authorized agent for registration of each such vehicle on a form prescribed by the department. Prior to the original registration of a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped, the owner, if a natural person, must present proof that he or she has a valid motorcycle endorsement as required in chapter 322. A registration is not required for any motor vehicle that is not operated on the roads of this state during the registration period.

320.37 Registration not to apply to nonresidents.--
    (1) The provisions of this chapter relative to the requirement for registration of motor vehicles and display of license number plates do not apply to a motor vehicle owned by a nonresident of this state if the owner thereof has complied with the provisions of the motor vehicle registration or licensing law of the foreign country, state, territory, or federal district of the owner's residence and conspicuously displays his or her registration number as required thereby.
    (2) The exemption granted by this section does not apply to:
    (a) A foreign corporation doing business in this state;
    (b) Motor vehicles operated for hire, including any motor vehicle used in transporting agricultural or horticultural products or supplies if such vehicle otherwise meets the definition of a "for-hire vehicle";
    (c) Recreational vehicles or mobile homes located in this state for at least 6 consecutive months; or
    (d) Commercial vehicles as defined in s. 316.003.

320.38 When nonresident exemption not allowed.
    --The provisions of s. 320.37 authorizing the operation of motor vehicles over the roads of this state by nonresidents of this state when such vehicles are duly registered or licensed under the laws of some other state or foreign country do not apply to any nonresident who accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003(61). In every case in which a nonresident, except a nonresident migrant or seasonal farm worker as defined in s. 316.003(61), accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state or enters his or her children to be educated in the public schools of this state, such nonresident shall, within 10 days after the commencement of such employment or education, register his or her motor vehicles in this state if such motor vehicles are proposed to be operated on the roads of this state. Any person who is enrolled as a student in a college or university and who is a nonresident but who is in this state for a period of up to 6 months engaged in a work-study program for which academic credits are earned from a college whose credits or degrees are accepted for credit by at least three accredited institutions of higher learning, as defined in s. 1005.02, is not required to have a Florida registration for the duration of the work-study program if the person's vehicle is properly registered in another jurisdiction. Any nonresident who is enrolled as a full-time student in such institution of higher learning is also exempt for the duration of such enrollment.

Yeah, the cop must have missunderstood him. It can probably be cleared up with only a little hassle for the student (and none for the cop!).

1. Sponsored Links