Question Text Message Harassment

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maryland

I'm sure this question has been asked, but my girl friend and I broke up a couple months ago. We tried remaining friends and texting etc. but a week ago she said we've been arguing too much so after a few messages (nothing nasty) we stopped talking. Last week I texted her wanting closure (again no nasty words) and she confirmed it was completely over. Sad at the time but I deleted her number to avoid wanting to call and that was it. Tonight I kept getting blocked calls from what sounded like her cousin (he called me talking trash a couple weeks ago) so I asked my friend for her number and said I'd appreciate it if you didn't give my number out to your friends. Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed I was in my right considering her cousin calling before and her 3am drunk phone calls a couple weeks prior. So she tells me she filed harassment charges this past Friday. I told her fine lose my number leave me alone and had to repeat myself 4 times before she stopped. (saved the messages just in case). I know you can file these for basically any reason and I am currently on pbj so my question is one can these charges "stick" and how & two if they do how will they affect me? Restraining order, fine, trouble?
    Thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: Text Message Harassment

So... you're on probation before judgment for some unknown offense, and your girlfriend may or may not have reported your texts that may or may not have been harassing to the police, who may or may not take action and may or may not report it to your probation officer or the court overseeing your deferral....

Leave your ex- alone. You will find out what the future holds when it happens.

Thumbs down Re: Text Message Harassment

I have left my ex alone if you read my post. I've saved the texts I could proving they are not spam/harassing texts, but as I said I continue getting calls from her cousins. I realized earlier that it's more than likely she could have only put in a complaint and not actual charges and I should do the same (her drunk calls/texts and cousin's calls) just to have it on record and block her number just in case
    Completely ignoring the question and the majority of the actual post was very helpful though thank you

Default Re: Text Message Harassment

If you would think before spouting off like a petulant child, no doubt the same penchant that put you in the position of having to post your thread, you would realize that "Leave your ex- alone. You will find out what the future holds when it happens." is the answer to your questions.

I tried to translate your ramble into something approaching a coherent thought, and then explained what you need to do. I made no comment about the past, as you can't change the past and you can't stop your ex- from doing whatever it is she may have done - "Leave your ex- alone" is what you need to do going forward.

1. Sponsored Links