Default Problem with Title and I Cannot Get the Car Registered in My Current State

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: ID, WA, TX

Purchased a car from WA, delivered in TX. Trying to get the car registered but there were problems in the WA dealership - they cannot produce the title.

The WA dealership purchased this car from Kellogg, ID. At that point my assumption is that the WA dealership should have already secured the title before they put this car up for sale.

I purchased the car (unseen), got a Financial institution for the loan and eventually delivered in TX.

3 months later, I still can't register the car and the lien holder don't have the title. The issue with the title problem wasn't disclosed to me prior to and during the sale process. I was initially told that by the WA dealership that they will overnight the documents to TX so I can register the car. I'm at my 3rd application of the temp tags and still no resolution for the title (for registration).

Now WA dealer says that they cannot get hold of the ID dealer. That the ID dealer have lost the title (or don't have possesion of the title, etc blah, blah, blah). The financial institution also told me that they can't do anything - they are just waiting for the WA dealer to send them the title.

My worry is that if I get denied the 3rd application of the temp tags, I can't drive this car. Even if I get the 3rd application done - it seems there is no immediate resolution to this problem and i'm running out of patience. I don't get any communication from the financial institution and/or the WA dealer unless I start calling and pressuring them the do something about this.

I'm diligently paying my monthly notes to the financial institution -- but if this (issue) causes me problems - where I cannot register the car, or can't refinance it, or can't trade it in (or sell it), i'm thinking of returning this car to WA (either to ship or drive there).

My question is, can I return this car if I can't register it in my current state? can I get full refund and lawyers fee if incase I go to the lawyer/legal route? what kind of lawyer do i need to get to help me sort this mess?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Problem with Title and I Cannot Get the Car Registered in My Current State

I don't know why you put any responsibility on this on the financial institution. They're the one's who are screwed by this more than you are. Frankly, I don't understand how it was that you even got them to send the scoundrels in WA the check without the execution of the title at the same time.

Is this a real dealer or a curbstoner? If they are a licensed dealer they are in violation of their license right now. First off for not delivering you your title in a timely fashion. Second, they're not allowed to title jump. They either need to have ownership of the vehicle or a consignment contract which it sounds like they have neither.

I'd get a complaint going with these people: http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConsumerIssues...sandLinks.aspx

Default Re: Problem with Title and I Cannot Get the Car Registered in My Current State

Thank you Ron.

It's a legit dealer - MB of Spokane, WA (Liberty Lakes, WA). I went to my own bank to secure a pre-approved loan but they (dealer) gave me a better deal if I go with MB Financials. I mean, it's all MB (dealer and financial institution) so I thought I won't get any problems. The car is also CPO (if that even matters now).

You are right that the financial institution should worry more that I am but everytime I call/communicate with them, all they say that they are (still) waiting for the documents and they can't do anything about it as this (process) could take about 10 or more weeks to complete. It has been (close to) 3 months since purchase.

My main concern is that If I can't drive this car, what's the point (of having this car). I use this as my daily commute to go to work. I can't work, then I can't pay. I can't pay then what?

Thanks again.

Specifically here are the law violations your are dealing with. I would ask the Atty General to assist you in getting your money back.
    http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=25024

See the last line of the previous post. They are still in violation of their license.

Please do not leave out pertinent details. You didn't get a "financial institution" you used the dealer's, which explains some of the mess. But still the financial institution is NOT the one that is the problem. The dealer is obligated to execute that title.

Three months is way out of line here. Get the complaint going. Work your way up the management of the dealer. They are breaking the law.

I contacted the GM of the dealership for last resort. I got a response and was promised that the documents will be overnighted to my County office the latest is Friday.
    If this doesn't happen he said that they'll repurchase the car.

I'll give them until Monday after that, I'll contact the WA Attorney General's office and go from there.

Hopefully this gets settled. I just want to register the car and don't want anymore headaches. Worse that the documents aren't sent, what type of lawyer do I need to help me with returning the car and get my downpayment and payments made? Do i pay the lawyer or the dealer pays my lawyer? also since the car is now in TX and would return this to WA, do they pay for shipping or if I drive up there, how would they compensate for that?

Thanks

1. Sponsored Links