Default Demand Letter from Attorney - Alleged Incident Not Described

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Florida

I just received a letter from a lawyer which reads roughly as follows:

[my name]
    [my address]

RE: Our Client: Her name
    D/A: [ A date, about two months ago ]

Dear [me]

Pleased be advised that this office has been retained by [her name] to represent them with the intent of filing a claim against you for injuries it [sic] sustained as a result of the above captioned incident.

[ she ] has suffered medical expenses and emotional distress due to this incident, and will continue to do so in the future.

If you have liability insurance .... [ contact your insurance carrier ]

If you don't [ contact him directly ].

Now, what's strange about this in my eyes is that the "incident" is not described. All I know is that something allegedly happened on [ date ]. It's not even clear if it was a traffic accident or something else. The letter, printed using a laser printer on conspicuously cheap paper, says the firm specialty is personal injury and negligence claims.

The problem is that during all the time I knew this women, we were never involved in any accident of any description. In fact, I have not been in any kind of traffic accident or even traffic law violation during this period. I have had zero encounters with the police of any description. There was no time when she was at my house or I was at hers that I remember her claiming any injuries or damage.

The facts: We were dating, briefly. She was broke and I would drive her around when she asked me for some help running errands. I broke off the relationship because she had a personality that made me think she would eventually start blaming me for any bad things happening in her life, because that was how she treated other people. About two weeks after I stopped returning her calls, I got this letter in the mail.

The attorney has no web site, no email and no reviews of any kind. It looks to me like a small-time operation, without even a decent letterhead to its name.

So I am totally baffled. How, if at all, should I respond?

As far as I can tell, the letter has no real meaning, since it alleges precisely nothing.

Am I right?

Thanks for any help.

Curious ...

Default Re: Demand Letter from Attorney - Alleged Incident Not Described

Is this an automobile accident.

If it is, then forward this to your insurance company, and let them get their legal department on it, and it'll save you the trouble of finding a lawyers, and paying retainers. Tell your insurance compnay it could be a scam as you don't recall any accidents.

Quote Quoting SChinFChin
    View Post
    Is this an automobile accident.
    OP doesn't know if it's a traffic accident. He says that he hasn't been in any traffic accidents and thinks it must be therefore something other than a traffic accident.

OP, I reco you call the lawyer and ask him to tell you what the incident is. Then proceed accordingly. If you don't know what to do after the lawyer tells you what the incident is, post back here.

You're free to ignore the letter or *write* to the lawyer inquiring what the heck (s)he's talking about.

"The attorney has no web site, no email and no reviews of any kind."

Have you even checked with the state bar to see whether this person is in fact an attorney licensed to practice in the state?

I would think that if I forwarded it to the insurance company, however bogus it may be, they would wind up spending some time and money on it and would probably increase my premium. Intuitively I'd rather prevent that, and deal with the claim on my own unless it's valid and for a large sum.

Any thoughts/hard information on that fear?

D

I'm sorry, but you don't even know what this involves; doesn't make sense to me to contact your insurer simply based on some blurb in some attorney's letter involving a matter of some possibly disturbed former friend trying to cause trouble.

Good idea, Foster. I checked the State Bar and his license is valid, with no complaints.

What are the likely consequences of ignoring the letter?

D

People have advised you to send it to your insurance company only if it's because of a car accident. You have said there has been no car accident, ergo you have no reason to send it to your insurance company.

I don't recommend you ignore it. You need to find out what it's about before you can make an informed decision about ignoring it. Call the lawyer!

Sometimes, the attorney just wants to scare people into settlement.

As to the consequence, he may file a complaint against you in court. However, I don't see how he can file a complaint when he doesn't seem to have any factual basis or cause of action as required for a claim to survive.

Maybe you should listen to eerelations's recommendation since It doesn't cost you anything if you call the attorney

Do you have homeowner's coverage? If there was no incident involving an automobile, I would consider bringing in homeowner's and seeing if they'll follow up with the lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links