Unhappy Deduction from Agreed Finder's Fee

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California (San Diego)

I had an oral agreement with my landlord that I would get $400 for finding new tenants. When I asked for it, I only got $300, with them claiming that there was a $100 fine for a noise disturbance that happened after we ended the lease (and that we were not responsible for, but we lived in a townhouse with neighbors that would have regular parties). I lived with 3 other people, but I got hit with the full fine. Do I have any legal recourse against him?

I've tried contacting the agency that imposed the fine originally, telling them that we weren't associated with the noise, and that we weren't even notified about a hearing about the fine) but my e-mail has gone unanswered for a week and a half now. I have the contact information of the landlord, the owner of the property, and the organization that imposed the fine.

Default Re: Deduction from Agreed Finder's Fee

If your lease permits the landlord to pass the fine along to you, then your landlord can pass the fine along to you. If you sue him claiming he owes you $100, and he countersues showing that you owe him $100, it all comes out in the wash.

1. Sponsored Links