Default Defendant Cannot Get Parole Transfered

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida and Pennsylvania

My stepdaughters boyfriend was convicted of a crime and is currently on parole. While he was serving his sentence he inquired about having his parole transfered from PA to FL. This was to come live with us since they have a child together and he doesn't have family in PA anyways. The parole officer told him that it wouldn't be a problem. When he got out on parole it has been one excuse after another in getting transfered. He's been told to go to the parole board, who in return told them they don't have anything to do with it, he's been told to go thru his lawyer (court appointed) who also stated he doesn't have anything to do with it. How or what is the process to get a transfer done? His parole officer has said that it is out of his hands and keeps telling him to go to these other people who in return tell him they don't have anything to do with it? Any help would be great.

Default Re: Defendant Cannot Get Parole Transfered

If he wants to hire a lawyer to assist him, he can do exactly that. The lawyer appointed to represent him for the criminal case is correct - this is not within the scope of those (now completed) duties.

Unfortunately you have chosen not to share any of the information about the problems or causes for delay. We don't even know how long ago he put in the request. Without facts to work with, we have nothing to analyze.

The problem has been ongoing for almost a year, while in jail he stated that he wanted to get transfered to FL from PA, which we provided all the information on where and with whom he would be living with, at this time he was told that after he was released the paperwork would be provided to him by his Probation Officer. After being released the PO then kept telling him, for several months, that the next time he came in for his scheduled appt that they would do the paperwork. So needless to say now the PO is telling him that he has to go thru his lawyer and that the lawyer, even being a public defender, is to handle anything that has to do with the case while he is on probation. In return the lawyer is saying no, if you want me then you have to pay me. So the problem will have been going on for a year come October (that's when he was released from jail), the cause in delay is that you have the probation officer saying that he has to go thru the lawyer he had, that lawyer says that he has nothing to do with it, the probation officer also told him he had to go thru the state parole board who in return said that they have nothing to do with it. So now as of today, he has filled out paperwork petitioning the court for transfer. What I am asking is what is the process for getting a transfer, seeing that nobody wants to handle it and keeps saying someone else is supposed to handle it.

You are asking about an Interstate Compact. It is something that your friend can't handle alone. He can request one, but the sending state(PA) can deny it and not submit the paperwork. The PO may not be able to get his request entertained by his superiors. The parole board may have rejected it. Even if PA sends the request FL can and in most cases, will reject his request.

But, the institution has to send a request for transfer and it sounds like he does not qualify for some reason.

1. Sponsored Links