Default Social Security and Birth Certificate Names

This question is from a Washington State resident, born and raised.

Problem: The name on my Social Security does not match the name I have been using my whole life.

I am Hispanic and grew up with two last names. My first name has always been the same but my last name has always been B. V. When I got my first real job at 19 years of age, I filled out paperwork and found out that my social security has one of my last names as a middle name, and the other as a last name.

I went into the Social Security Office to ask for help but they could not help me because my birth certificate did not state which ones were my last or middle names, it was just typed in as my whole name.

I donít know how to fix this. I want to keep my two last names. But I understand it may be easier to get an official name change, so I will if it that is a better choice. But please give me your suggestions, opinions and recommendations anyway.

Itís instinct to write everything using two last names but technically, according to SS, itís not legally correct. I need to do something about this issue because itís affecting whether I can get a job or not.

Please Help!

SS First name: ***** Middle: B***** Last: V******
    Me First name: ***** Middle: Last: B****** V*******
    Birth Certificate Name: ***** B****** B******

Default Re: Social Security and Birth Certificate Names

Your social security card would have your name listed as the applicant filed it. If the provider used one of your last names as a middle name, then that is what they recorded. The last time I filled one out there was a separate section for middle and last names.

Do you have a middle name?

from what I can find regarding Washington birth certificates, they do separate middle and last names on the application.

I would contact the Washington department of vital records to see if they retain a copy of the application for an original certificate of birth and see what it says on there.

1. Sponsored Links