Default Dealership is Slow to Refund Money After Cancelation of Contract

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Masachusetts
    This is a Commonwealth of Massachusetts issue. I purchased a used car for my son, it was put in his name, he is 18. The car failed approximately 31 miles from the dealership. They told me to have it towed back to them at their cost for repair, before the tow my mechanic came up and noted that even had it not died it would fail inspection. I know all of the attorney generals laws. 2 weeks went by with no calls and no answers’ to our calls. I went to the dealer; they asked me what I wanted to do. I offered to take it, try to inspect it, but it would fail so they opted to void the sale with my agreement. They informed me it would take them 3 weeks to refund.

8 weeks later they are not returning calls, they are a licensed dealer and registered with the secretary of state. They have the car, the money and will not respond. I got ahold of them once or twice; they will get back to me. No response.

I filed a 30 day letter in preparation to file against them in small claims court for the fees and violation of the attorney generals rules. They forwarded the certified mail to a different address but they are not picking up the mail. I mailed three or four regular mail as well. I think the case is all civil but in my book its theft.
    Should I file a police report as well to support my case.

I am not concerned in the slightest with taking them to court; I just want to make sure I should not notify the police as well. John

Default Re: Should I File a Police Report for Theft

http://www.mass.gov/ago/consumer-resources/

Here is where you should start.

. They forwarded the certified mail to a different address but they are not picking up the mail.
    Huh? Since when is certified mail forwarded?

the police will almost assuredly tell you it is a civil matter. I I doubt the cops or DA would even entertain the possibility considering it for criminal prosecution at this point.

so, when is the last time you stopped into their office?

I agree, why did post office forward certified mail, they are filing a case for me on that. I only get the saleperson when I show up, she always says she will have to have the general manager get the check to me and call me, no one ever does. I will wait the 30 days file in small claims for triple damages. Court says I can ask for a paper to force them to pay, or have the sheriff liquidate property. They have some high end cars, ought to be worth something.

1. Sponsored Links