Default Security Deposit Withheld for Carpet Cleaning, Insects

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Ohio

My wife and I have lived at the apartment for nearly three years. We put in for a transfer to one of the landlord's rental houses. Nearly 60 days later we get a letter saying that our deposit is being withheld and that we owe additional charges:

169.49 complete cleaning, 104.86 steam clean carpet, 338.83 for pest control (never had pest), 53.50 times 5 for carpet damage, 52.80 for 8 patio blinds.

Now I did a video walk through of the apartment on the day we turned the keys in. In the video it clearly shows the carpet damage is at the seams. Straight lines of fray under each door, carpet falling apart at balcony doors, and some stains on the carpet. The carpet had cigarette burns before we moved in and the landlord acknowledges this.

The apartment is located in a building with a total of 6 apartments. Can i use this in my defense of pest even though we never had pest? Also with the age of the carpet (6 years old) and it's condition can the landlord charge me for a few stains even though the carpet needs to be replaced due to age?

Here is the kicker. 977 dollars in damages but they still rented us a house. If we were really to be blamed why rent us a house? The landlord's company is Huber Home Rentals in huber heights OH.

Default Re: Security Deposit Withheld

Stains on the carpet from what? If you spilled, say, juice, that would be damage that would justify your being billed for the cleaning you necessitated. What is "53.50 times 5 for carpet damage" - five what? If the landlord replaced the carpet it would not be necessary to clean the carpet, but your post suggests that the landlord did not replace the carpet.

You don't know what the pest control issue is about. What did your landlord say when you inquired about the charge? The details matter. If your landlord is alleging that you failed to keep your apartment sufficiently clean and that resulted in insect infestation, that's not going to be something you can blame on your neighbors.

How would they have known of the need for repairs before you moved out?

Default Re: Security Deposit Withheld

Stains on the carpet from what? stains from coming in from out If you spilled, say, juice, that would be damage that would justify your being billed for the cleaning you necessitated. What is "53.50 times 5 for carpet damage" - five what? 53.50 times 5 for 5 frayed spots If the landlord replaced the carpet it would not be necessary to clean the carpet, but your post suggests that the landlord did not replace the carpet. From my understanding a tenant by law can't be charged for carpet that needs to be replaced and is falling apart. This is where I think some stains shouldn't be an issue because the apartment needs new carpet.

You don't know what the pest control issue is about. What did your landlord say when you inquired about the charge? Please write a letter to us of your concern.The details matter. If your landlord is alleging that you failed to keep your apartment sufficiently clean and that resulted in insect infestation, that's not going to be something you can blame on your neighbors. The only thing not clean was two spots on the carpet.

How would they have known of the need for repairs before you moved out? They did a detailed walk through were I had to move furniture so they could see the carpet. They don't just let you transfer without seeing the condition of your current place.

Default Re: Security Deposit Withheld for Carpet Cleaning, Insects

Quote Quoting us11csalyer
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Ohio

My wife and I have lived at the apartment for nearly three years. We put in for a transfer to one of the landlord's rental houses. Nearly 60 days later we get a letter saying that our deposit is being withheld and that we owe additional charges:

169.49 complete cleaning, 104.86 steam clean carpet, 338.83 for pest control (never had pest), 53.50 times 5 for carpet damage, 52.80 for 8 patio blinds.

Now I did a video walk through of the apartment on the day we turned the keys in. In the video it clearly shows the carpet damage is at the seams. Straight lines of fray under each door, carpet falling apart at balcony doors, and some stains on the carpet. The carpet had cigarette burns before we moved in and the landlord acknowledges this.

The apartment is located in a building with a total of 6 apartments. Can i use this in my defense of pest even though we never had pest? Also with the age of the carpet (6 years old) and it's condition can the landlord charge me for a few stains even though the carpet needs to be replaced due to age?

Here is the kicker. 977 dollars in damages but they still rented us a house. If we were really to be blamed why rent us a house? The landlord's company is Huber Home Rentals in huber heights OH.
    I am EXTREMELY familiar with that particular company...sigh...I am talking about more than 30 years of familar, from all kinds of different standpoints...I wish you were not still renting from them, because that effects your current situation.

Send me a private message and I will talk to you more.

Default Re: Security Deposit Withheld for Carpet Cleaning, Insects

I moved out and they have my new address on 7-1-2012. Itemized list was mailed on 8-29-2012. This puts it past Ohio's 30 day time line. What does this mean for me?

1. Sponsored Links