Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My Former Manager is Telling My Former Co-Workers That I Am Mentally Ill

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: North Carolina

After many months of of being over-worked and being taken advantage of I got so fed up and angry with the working conditions that I quit abruptly. Admittedly I was very angry when I quit but now my former manager is telling everyone that worked with that I'm schizophrenic, which I am not. I am afraid that it affect my future employment opportunities. It's really bothering me and I just want it to stop. Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: Can My Former Manager is Tellingl My Former Co-Workers That I Am Mentally Ill

Everyone?

Who exactly is he telling, and what?

(For example, "he was acting like he was schizo", versus "he's a paranoid schizophrenic")

Default Re: Can My Former Manager is Tellingl My Former Co-Workers That I Am Mentally Ill

He has told 2 former co-workers whom I is still have contact with that "He Is Schizophrenic".

So, what jobs have you lost because of this and how do you plan to prove it in court.

OP, how exactly did you react on the day you quit?

cbg, I don't know that I lost any jobs yet but I live in a small city and my former employer is a large employer here. I am not a litigious person and hadn't planned on suing. I was a manager for a large law firm in CA and I know that as a manager there I could not say anything about a former employee, especially to other employees. I just want him to stop to prevent his personal opinions from affecting me in the future, after all he manages a supermarket and is not a trained medical professional.

Dogmatique, I believe when I lost my temper I more than likely turned bright red and yelled something like "I can't take this anymore and I quit" and stormed out.

You're absolutely incorrect about what you're allowed to say about a former employee.

There is NOTHING in the law preventing an employer from expressing an opinion or stating the truth to a third party. Even other employees.

It might have been company policy, but it's certainly not the law.

And without proof of actual damages you have nothing to sue for anyway. You cannot sue for what hasn't happened yet and may never happen.

It is a myth that employers are not allowed to say anything about other employees. Many employees have that as a policy. It is not law in any state, despite a widespread, but erroneous, belief to the contrary.

Perhaps your right, I don't know but having worked for one of the world's largest law firms I can't imagine they had that policy for no reason. Perhaps it was just a California thing.

Thanks both of you for your responses.

You missed a letter. It's not a CA thing, but a CYA thing.

It's the company policy, not the law.

You're welcome.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast