Default Ignition Interlock Device Needed for California Reinstatement, but Moving to Maryland

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

I got a DUI in CA 15 months ago. I've completed all the court requirements. An LA County arrest means I need an ignition interlock device for 5 months to get my license back. But I haven't done this because I no longer have a car. I filed for an exemption for driving an employer's car, but DMV hasn't responded -- maybe the paperwork got lost? I didn't follow up, because I didn't need to drive that badly, and couldn't afford a new car. I do have insurance, and an SR22 on file.

Now I'm moving to MD, and eventually will need a license. My questions are:

1. Should I apply for reinstatement, get the license with the IID restriction, and an employer exemption? Does the 5 months run out, or do I have to own and operate a car with an IID for 5 months in CA at some point, before the restriction will be removed?

2. Can I take the restricted CA license to MD, and get a MD license?

3. Should I just forget about driving until I move back to CA, which may not be for 2-3 years? Would I have to buy a car and put an IID on it then?

If it makes any difference, this is my first offense, with an otherwise clean driving record.

Default Re: Ignition Interlock Device Needed for California Reinstatement, but Moving to Mary

You are under no obligation to actually drive, regardless of any restrictions on your license. However, there may be a requirement that you install an ignition interlock, providing proof of such to the DMV, before the clock starts ticking on your 5 month IID requirement. If that is the case, since you do not actually possess a vehicle to install an IID in, I'm sure there is some exception you can apply for...I have no doubt that accomplishing this will be bureaucratic, red-tape filled pain in the a$$, but I'm thinking there is a workaround. Now, I have absolutely no idea how to go about obtaining such an exception. Perhaps an inquiry at the DMV is in order.
    Behind the badge is a person. Behind the person is an ego. This is as it should be, person at the center and ego to the back.

Default Re: Ignition Interlock Device Needed for California Reinstatement, but Moving to Mary

Quote Quoting PTPD22
    View Post
    ...there may be a requirement that you install an ignition interlock, providing proof of such to the DMV, before the clock starts ticking on your 5 month IID requirement.
    This is what I'm asking. Is there?

If that is the case, since you do not actually possess a vehicle to install an IID in, I'm sure there is some exception you can apply for...
    The only one I'm aware of is being able to drive an employer's vehicle. I can get that. But is there any way to clear the restrictions without buying another vehicle and driving it in CA w/ IID for 5 months? I don't have 5 months.

I have no doubt that accomplishing this will be bureaucratic, red-tape filled pain in the a$$, but I'm thinking there is a workaround. Now, I have absolutely no idea how to go about obtaining such an exception. Perhaps an inquiry at the DMV is in order.
    The problem is getting through to this dept. of DMV. They're knowledgeable and helpful but phones are always busy. Twice I have wasted a whole day and still didn't get through.

1. Sponsored Links