Default Permanent Work Visas

Hi there,

After having read other threads on this forum I got my suspicion confirmed that being the parent on a US citizen won't help me until she's 21 and can petition for me. (I always thought so, even though friends kept insisting that I won't be deported when my F1 expires being the parent of a US citizen. Apparently it's hard for people to understand that I don't care if I don't get deported if it means staying illegally. Legal stay is the only way I'd be interested in staying in the country.)

So, I'm looking at employment options when I graduate in a few years. I'm currently a undergrad student, with intentions of continuing on to a masters degree in library science. What visa category would be best suiting for me when I get to that point? I'm thinking EB-3, but I'm not 100% sure.
    With a masters degree, would I still be dependent on the occupation in question being in high demand, or would it just be to find a employer willing to do the paperwork?

Default Re: Permanent Work Visas

There is no such thing as a "permanent" work visa. After receiving a degree, you may work on OPT for a year. You would then need to find an employer to file for an H1B; that takes care of 6 years.

If there are no willing and qualified US citizens or current legal residents wanting the job, an employer can file for a green card on your behalf. However, you meeting the requirements will be difficult as there are many librarians -including a family member with a BS from an elite school, a MS in a technical field, work towards a PhD in a technical field, a MLS, AND more than 10 years of experience in well known libraries who is currently looking for new job (and has been for a year now) - looking for jobs.

I would not even hold out much hope for you getting an H1b sponsor since libraries work on very little funding. Just finding someone to file the paperwork will not work. They must actually employ and pay you.

Realistically, your best option is to go home as you promised you would when you originally obtained your F-1 visa.

Default Re: Permanent Work Visas

Sorry, I was just calling it permanent since the USCIS website had the E visas marked as "Permanent workers".
    I also realize that if I was to find someone to "file the paperwork" as I put it they'd need to hire me, I guess I was oversimplifying it wondering if a masters was a high enough level of education not to have to worry about what was in demand or not. IE, if I found a employer willing to hire me I was wondering if them filing the proper forms would be enough, but from what you're mentioning I'm assuming probably not.

Realistically I think I'd actually prefer going home, I just wanted to look into the possibility of staying in order to put as little distance as possible between my daughter and her father.

1. Sponsored Links