Default Blocked from Following Doctor to a New Practice Due to Non-Compete Agreement

My question involves public health law in the State of: WASHINGTON

I recently found out my doctor, who I have been with for years and am very satisfied with, moved. I found out their new location, and scheduled an appointment, but was told by my doctor on arrival that they cannot even accept me into the new practice's system because the old practice could sue them.

Is this legal? I CHOSE to follow my Dr., FOUND their new practice myself, and wasn't solicited at all. I understand THEY signed an agreement -- but I haven't signed anything of this sort. Doesn't this infringe on my freedom to choose?

Default Re: Blocked from Following Doctor to a New Practice Due to Non-Compete Agreement

They doctor has the right to choose, as well.

See if the doctor's old practice will give him permission to accept you as a patient.

Default Re: Blocked from Following Doctor to a New Practice Due to Non-Compete Agreement

Quote Quoting undergradWA
    View Post
    . I understand THEY signed an agreement -- but I haven't signed anything of this sort. Doesn't this infringe on my freedom to choose?
    You must have had a really good doctor. The doctor may have signed a restrictive covenant in an employment contract. YET, you have the freedom to choose, but his former employer/partner might has the right to sue him for breach of a contract.

Many new doctors sign a non compete to get into a practice. If they move within a certain distance or violate other contractual conditions, they can be sued.

1. Sponsored Links