Default What Happens if You Move Internationallly After Defaulting on Your Credit Cards

Hello guru's,

I have a strange situation here.. I took cash advance of 20K from BOFA and transferred to india into my account for some assets purchase.. then i went to India on vacation.. unfortunate events took place and i couldn't return to the USA nor buy the assets and the money is spent on some other debts due to litigation.. but i had brought a car for my dad as a gift.. on Amex with 12K USD in India..and AMEX knows my india address let us assume.. so BOFA knows my India Bank account and its address.

Would i be in trouble at all? I know there is no criminal action they could take when my cards are from the USA since they have no jurisdiction here in India.. but just want to know if AMEX for 12K in India would still pursue me along with BOFA for 20K???.

I am seriously in no position to pay and i shall never be returning to the US..

Thanks

Default Re: What Happens if You Move Internationallly After Defaulting on Your Credit Cards

The only way you're going to find out what AMEX will do to collect the money you owe is wait and see what happens.

I don't know why you believe AMEX has no presence in any country other than the United States.

Default Re: What Happens if You Move Internationallly After Defaulting on Your Credit Cards

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    The only way you're going to find out what AMEX will do to collect the money you owe is wait and see what happens.

I don't know why you believe AMEX has no presence in any country other than the United States.
    True.. i am very much aware that AMEX has huge presence here in India.. but if i default on a Credit Card which I used here in India taken in the USA would Still be a US card and subject to USA Collection and Laws.. If Indian Amex comes pursue me.. when i am not in their legislation could they do anything? even if they file a case on me.. for USA credit here in india.. it would it hold ground? .. of course they can pursue me in the USA and file a court judgement there and since i am here they cannot do anything.. There is an extradition treaty.. but since credit it a civil offense.. it cant cross borders.. is what i am feeling.. trying to save my ASS..

Finally You are the boss knowitall.. you analyse and we take your word for granted.. so please throw some light on this situation..

Thanks,

You'll need to refer to the "cardholder agreement" which they update and send to you copies from time to time. I recently got another one where they updated their options on contacting debtors collecting debts, one being able to text you at all hours to your mobile devices if needed, which normally is prohibited among other things. At other times, they updated the agreement on insurance coverages when you made purchases through AMEX.

It's a rather lengthy agreement, in small print, and personally, I have not read through it all over the years though I had my account since 1973. Get a copy of it if you can, read through it, and see if they can sue you in India in an Indian court for a US based debt, which this seems to be.

Quote Quoting SChinFChin
    View Post
    You'll need to refer to the "cardholder agreement" which they update and send to you copies from time to time. I recently got another one where they updated their options on contacting debtors collecting debts, one being able to text you at all hours to your mobile devices if needed, which normally is prohibited among other things. At other times, they updated the agreement on insurance coverages when you made purchases through AMEX.

It's a rather lengthy agreement, in small print, and personally, I have not read through it all over the years though I had my account since 1973. Get a copy of it if you can, read through it, and see if they can sue you in India in an Indian court for a US based debt, which this seems to be.
    Great Idea.. i have read through the card holder agreement:
    https://web.aexp-static.com/us/conte...ueCashAECB.pdf

I dont seem to find anything saying international court etc.. they just talk about Federal and State of Utah etc..

1. Sponsored Links