Default Moved Out and Left Belongings

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Connecticut

I just moved into my girlfriends house. Her roommate stopped paying rent and moved out. she was not on the lease. They had a verbal agreement. She changed her address. She took most of her belongings with her. My girlfriend wants to hold her remaining belongings until she pays the rent owed. Is this legal? What steps do we have to take to get the money owed? What do we do with her belongings? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Default Re: Moved Out and Left Belongings

no, you don't get to hold property hostage. If she owes money and won't pay, you sue. Then, if awarded a judgment, you attempt to collect on that.

how much "belongings"?

Not even close to being legal.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Thanks. I thought so. She left a lot of stuff. A whole bedroom full of furniture, more kids toys than toy r us has in stock. We have a 16 x 16 room stacked to the ceiling full of her stuff. What do we do with it? My girlfriend wants it out.

Ok, first, understand that "we" can't do anything and you can't do anything. Any legal action must be in the name of your GF. That is who the landlord was in this situation and it remains to be her house. Not trying to be nasty about it but if you interject yourself into the picture, it could cause problems. A simple example; if you give the girl a notice of time the stuff has to be out or action will be taken, it is meaningless because you have no authority to give notice or anything else in this issue. If you would toss the stuff based on your notice and it required a valid notice prior to tossing the stuff, your girlfriend could end up being liable for the value since she would have illegally tossed the stuff.

I may be stretching this statute a bit to make it fit but this is what I would follow:

http://law.justia.com/codes/connecti...ec47a-11b.html

I am only posting part of the statute. I suggest you go and read it in its entirety.

(b) If all the occupants abandon the dwelling unit, the landlord may send notice to each occupant at his last-known address both by regular mail, postage prepaid, and by certified mail, return receipt requested, stating that (1) he has reason to believe that the occupant has abandoned the dwelling unit, (2) he intends to reenter and take possession of the dwelling unit unless the occupant contacts him within ten days of receipt of the notice, (3) if the occupant does not contact him, he intends to remove any possessions and personal effects remaining in the premises and to rerent the premises, and (4) if the occupant does not reclaim such possessions and personal effects within thirty days after the notice, they will be disposed of as permitted by this section. The notice shall be in clear and simple language and shall include a telephone number and a mailing address at which the landlord can be contacted. If the notices are returned as undeliverable, or the occupant fails to contact the landlord within ten days of the receipt of the notice, the landlord may reenter and take possession of the dwelling unit, at which time any rental agreement or lease still in effect shall be deemed to be terminated.
    (d) The landlord shall inventory any possessions and personal effects of the occupant in the premises and shall remove and keep them for not less than thirty days. The occupant may reclaim such possessions and personal effects from the landlord within said thirty-day period. If the occupant does not reclaim such possessions and personal effects by the end of said thirty-day period, the landlord may dispose of them as he deems appropriate.

1. Sponsored Links