Default Can You be Required to Repay Training Costs if You Fail a Drug Test Before Starting

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Kentucky

I have a future employer that has paid for my training to get a life insurance license, as well as the cost of the test and background check. Before the training I was force to sign a contract stating that if fired or terminated, or if I quit, I would have to pay back the cost of these things ($939 total). So I've done the training, will be taking the test soon, and I've heard there will be a drug test before the job actually starts. I have not been paid nor worked any at this point. If I fail the drug test, can they still force me to pay? They did ask at my interview if I had ever taken any drugs, I said no. that was weeks ago, I could have well took drugs (like weed) after the interview, meaning I was honest at the time of interview.

I understand they can make me pay this money back if I say, fail the test for my license. But can they do this for the drug test? Did they have to inform me of the drug test? I'm not sure if they did, but I dont think so, but ive heard from others that there will be one. thanks.

Default Re: Can My Future Employer Force Me to Pay Them if I Fail a Drug Test Before Employme

Just a wee bit too late to worry about it now, isn't it?

I cannot read your contract so I cannot say what is required of you or them. I suggested speaking with an attorney who can read the contract and advise you.

Before the training I was force to sign a contract s
    Required is not forced. HUGE difference.

Default Re: Can My Future Employer Force Me to Pay Them if I Fail a Drug Test Before Employme

okay, lets put it this way, when is someone considered officially hired? I cannot be terminated or quit if I havnt been hired yet right? would getting a copy of the contract help?

Simple solution, since you knew there was a pre-employment drug screen, would have been to stop the wacky-weed until after the test. Better yet, quit entirely. But I'm guessing it's too late for that now.

So you had never, ever, in any fashion used drugs and decided to pick up the bowl or roll after the interview? Bad choice.

As to the contract question, it's one you would have to run by an experienced, local employment attorney. We are in no real position to evaluate it from here.

If you agree to repay your employer for your training costs in the event of your violating their zero tolerance drug rules, and then you choose to use illegal drugs in violation of those rules such that you're terminated before your start date, nothing in what you've shared so far would relieve you of your responsibility to repay your training costs.

The "Maybe I toked up after I was hired, so maybe I wasn't lying about my drug use," thing? Let's just say, if you weren't a regular user you wouldn't have had any problem making it all the way to your start date.

1. Sponsored Links