Exclamation Macy's Shoplifting

I'm 16 years old and I got caught shoplifting in Macy's, New York. The thing is, as a 16 year old, it would be considered a juvenile thing right? but next month I'm going to turn 17 which is before the court date issued.. so what am i to do about that?

Also, this is my first time and I'm worried because I don't know what to do, especially in court. BUT, I could still fight against it right? because when they arrested me I was nowhere near the exits but was heading into the bathroom. They told me that they saw me paying for one of the merchandise but didn't pay for the ones in my bag (which the tags were off). I was deciding whether to take it or not when the undercovers came up to me and took me to this room and locked me up. Then they were going to get my parents to come to Macy's and pick me up but decided later to bring me to the precinct and locked me up for another 4 hours and went home at 1 in the morning.

Since i am 16, shouldn't they have been considerate.. I don't know why they wouldn't let me go since this is a first time and didn't believe that I never stole anything else before! Someone please help me decide on what I should or should not do!!

I'm most worried for what might happen to me because I'm now a senior in hs and applying for college. I don't know if this shoplifting would affect anything on my applications or whatnots and of future preferences. Please please please tell me what to do!

Default Re: Macy's shoplifting

Figure out if you want to tell your parents/guardian about this or not... And then do what you have to do to get a lawyer.

You can get a lot of general knowledge from this forum, but certain things are available or not available based on what court you get assigned to. Literally a difference of 10 miles can decide whether or not you will have this as a permanent mark on your record, or if the D.A. might dismiss the case...

At the very least, start searching around online to find names of local lawyers, schedule a consultation (many lawyers do it for free as their sales pitch.)

1. Sponsored Links