Default Solar Panel Lease - is the Buyer Obligated to Sign a Lease Transfer

My question involves real estate located in the State of: California

I'm currently in escrow on a property that has leased solar panels on section of the roof. I'm in love with everything about the property, but I really don't want to take over the lease of the solar panels. My realtor says that once I give up repair contingencies, everything on the property is my responsibility, including the solar panels, and that basically I HAVE to transfer the lease into my name. I've spoken with the solar company, and they want me to sign a lease transfer agreement.

My question is: Am I legally obligated to sign the lease transfer if I buy the house?
    Does anyone know what happens when someone breaks a lease with a solar company?

-T.G.A.

Default Re: Solar Panel Lease - is the Buyer Obligated to Sign a Lease Transfer

The contract the seller has with the solar company will likely address a potential future sale of the property. Violating their contract can potentially cloud the title you receive. I would investigate the issue with the seller and solar company.

Default Re: Solar Panel Lease - is the Buyer Obligated to Sign a Lease Transfer

I think this is something you ought to have considered before entering into a purchase contract. I don't see how such a thing wouldn't convey with the property as a fixture. Ultimately, signing some "transfer" might indicate you do not have an obligation, but then that might simply be essentially an acknowledgment of a situation you're already obligated to deal with. We can't read the solar panel lease from here (take it to a local real estate attorney, assuming you can pry it out of the sellers).

1. Sponsored Links