Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Are Store Detectives Allowed to Stop You Without Seeing You Shoplifting

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I was in bloomingdales and I took several pairs of jeans up the escalator which I know I'm allowed to do. I took them to a fitting room and I admit I did steal one of those jeans because I noticed it didn't have a security tag on it they probably forgot to put it on. I also took away the price tags and have tore them in tiny bits and disposed them good. So I put the jeans in my bag and left the other jeans in the fitting room. When I walked out of the store I didn't ring and suddenly a couple of store detectives came out ordering me to go back to the store because they said I got jeans in my bag. I laughed at them and said they got no right to stop me unless they seen me conceal the merchandise because I know that fitting rooms don't have cameras. But one of them grabbed me by my throat and tried attempted to drag me back to the store and I yelled out to stop touching me and he got scared and let me go. I took my cell phone and said I'll call the police but in my mind I was thinking if the police does come they'll side with them and I ran away. They chased me but I'm a very fast runner so they didn't catch me.

As far as I know they had no right to stop me even if they think I stole something in the fitting room. The room had a wooden door nobody could see inside and I took like 5 pairs inside they could never know if I stole one. I guess they just wanted me to confess but I told me like three times I have nothing and insisted they let me go but wouldn't do it. If I had not run could I have sued the store? They also grabbed me by my throat which I mentioned earlier which is assault. If I hadn't run away and did call the police they would've found jeans on me but there is still no way they could've done anything since I would never admit I stole them but they would've gotten suspicious because there's no way that store detective would've known what's in my bag unless he got x-ray vision. Although I believe I made a good decision running away because law enforcement usually side with people working for the law. Although store detectives aren't law enforcement I bet they still be favored.

Default Re: Are Store Detectives Allowed to Stop You Without Seeing You Shoplifting

You are delusional. They can stop you and use force to bring you back to the store. Even if they don't see you take it. Be thankful they didn't whip your ass and handcuff you.

Default Re: Are Store Detectives Allowed to Stop You Without Seeing You Shoplifting

In telling your story of committing this crime, I would not use the term "I made a good decision".

They have these things called CAMERAS and can count the number of items you had in your hands when you entered the fitting room. When you left, you were tailed, while another LP counted what you left in the fitting room. Guy went in with 5, there's 4 left....that means he has one in his bag.

You can bet the video has been turned over to the police. You can bet that any parking lot surveillance will be checked and you CAN be traced by your license plate number. You can bet your ass that your photo is in every LP office and near every employee time clock and in every employee break room "If seen, call LP immediately".

So you can expect the police to come knocking on your door. And the prosecutor and judge will take into consideration that you fled and were uncooperative.

I'll go one further, you are a totally delusional thieving loser. "Made a good decision running away....." So exactly what part of any of this was any sort of "good decision"?

Addressing another of your delusions; they had every right to stop you, regardless of you being in a fitting room or not! And by your own admission they had you pegged perfectly.

I just love lowlife losers that 'brag' about their accomplishment! Hopefully, someday when you are caught shoplifting you'll make the good decision to run away, then they'll catch your sorry butt and put a proper 'tune-up' on ya!

Can ya call ahead, I'd really like to see that one!

Oh....to explain something else...

Some fitting rooms are monitored more closely.....and will have signage to that effect. It is possible a male LP was watching you change, and you just did not see the signs.

I'm a loser? Well at least I keep it diplomatic here and asked for a legal advice not what a "low life thieving loser" I am. Thank you for the comments. At least this loser isn't too bored to talk crap on a message board lol As for the fitting room there was nobody there and the door wasn't see through but a regular door like you have in your room. Bloomingdales is a upscale dept store they'll never ask you how much you got carrying into a room and never ask you what you carry! And sorry no parking lot here because I live in the city and no car and no nothing to trace me. And why are we talking about tracing me? Is this a bank robbery or something? lol I think the police got something more important here to do then catch someone with a pair of jeans lol But then again they would since police don't have the balls to stop real criminals anyway they only prey on weak it's sad but true.

Even if LP were following me and have no proof I took something and didn't ring at the door, they can't stop me. I have a friend working as security in macys and he told me the same. He said they have to see you conceal the merchandise and walk out the store then it's a case. Rent-a-cops are not police to use probable cause!

And that rentacop had no right to grab me by the throat! That's assault! All of you seemed to ignore this! And dragging me into a store for no reason is false imprisonment!

If you want to post retarted comments again please do it somewhere else. I keep it mature and I'm not bragging by my accomplishments I'm here to state something else. Thank you for your help guys

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    You are delusional. They can stop you and use force to bring you back to the store. Even if they don't see you take it. Be thankful they didn't whip your ass and handcuff you.
    Whip my ass? I'm sorrry rentacop!? I wish they did, I'd be rich right now. I should've provoked them into doing that. lol

Heaven forfend that someone interfere with your God-given right to steal....

Quote Quoting burli_kommt
    View Post
    Whip my ass? I'm sorrry rentacop!? I wish they did, I'd be rich right now. I should've provoked them into doing that. lol
    Further proof you are so far gone delusional it's not funny. You are sorely mistaken and your friend at Macy's is equally mistaken.

You wouldn't be rich loserfish, you'd be jailed after a scenic side trip through a local emergency room.

You have got to call ahead next time you try to pull this sorta thing off again, I soooo wanna have a front row seat to the show they put on with you.

One more thing; Tact and diplomacy went by the wayside once you exhibited yourself as a pompous ass. Jus' sayin'.

Quote Quoting burli_kommt
    View Post
    Even if LP were following me and have no proof I took something and didn't ring at the door, they can't stop me. I have a friend working as security in macys and he told me the same. He said they have to see you conceal the merchandise and walk out the store then it's a case. Rent-a-cops are not police to use probable cause!
    As has been explained to you, it is not very hard to determine what you enter and exit with, without having to ask. You have no idea what LP did or did not witness. As for the bolded portion of your rant, you are wrong. Private citizens are not bound by probable cause like police so they have more flexibility in what they do.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast