Default Is it Permitted to Work Two Jobs at the Same Time, Claiming the Same Hours at Both

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: Florida

I have a supervisor who is Public Sector full time M-F 9-5 and is on salary collecting a normal paycheck. However I have discovered that he from time to time also works part time at another Public Sector job which he works part time every now and then and his time sheet's indicate that he works at the time he is suppose to be on duty at his primary job. I am assuming this is not legal, however if anyone could shoot me a link to where I could research this more I would love it.

Also same employee has taken vacation time from his normal Public Sector job to work at the Public Sector part time job, I am not sure if that is legal or not, but could it raise an ethical issue?

Any help would be greately appreciated

Default Re: Supervisor Collecting Two Pay Checks at the Same Time from Two Places of Employme

If he is working at the part time job while claiming time worked on the full time job he's not necessarily breaking any laws, however, he can be legally fired for doing this.

Working a second job while on vacation from the first job is not illegal, and not necesarily unethical either. However, either employer may legally fire him for doing this.

Default Re: Supervisor Collecting Two Pay Checks at the Same Time from Two Places of Employme

And this is your business how? Do you know for an absolute fact that he does not have permission to be doing this? That there is no agreement between the two jobs as to how he is to complete his time? Or are you just assuming?

[his time sheet's indicate that he works at the time he is suppose to be on duty at his primary job. Then he's falsifying his work time at one or both locations.

I am assuming this is not legal, however if anyone could shoot me a link to where I could research this more I would love it. This is a matter for management to deal with. Are you in payroll? I'm guessing you are since you have access to the timesheets. Inform the supervisor's manager of what you've seen on the timecards and then let him or her deal with it.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    If he is working at the part time job while claiming time worked on the full time job he's not necessarily breaking any laws, however, he can be legally fired for doing this.

Working a second job while on vacation from the first job is not illegal, and not necesarily unethical either. However, either employer may legally fire him for doing this.
    Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And this is your business how? Do you know for an absolute fact that he does not have permission to be doing this? That there is no agreement between the two jobs as to how he is to complete his time? Or are you just assuming?

The main issue for me is he is a public sector employee and collecting two checks from two different government entities which collect from the same tax base. I was under the impression that you could not be in two places at the same time and collect two checks.

If both employers know about it, and both are okay with it, there you go. If one or both don't know about the other job, or aren't okay with the way hours are being claimed, they can act on that... if they learn about it. But if they're unaware of the issue, it's reasonable to infer that they won't act.

There is no law that says you cannot work two different jobs. You can have two different jobs from the same employer; you can have two different jobs from different employers. Both are legal.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that the two departments have agreed to this. Obviously I can't know that this is true, but it also doesn't sound as if you know for certain that it is not true.

Are you in Payroll?

Agree with cbg - what is your role in this (non)issue?

And my point is that unless you are in Payroll (and maybe not even then) or in direct line management OVER him (which by your post you are not) you do not know if this is being done with permission and with the appropriate budget transfers being made where you do not see them.

So, once again, are you in Payroll? Do you know for an absolute fact that he does not have permission or been told to fill out his cards this way? Or are you just assuming?

The thing that is disturbing is the supervisor claiming to work the same hours at the two different jobs. There is at least the appearance of something untoward going on.

OP, you haven't replied to anyone's questions regarding what your role is in any of this. If you are in payroll and/or have a legimate basis to know the supervisor is actually doing this, then inform HR and/or the manager in charge and then leave it in their hand.

1. Sponsored Links