Default Unemployment Benefits Stopped Because of a Part Time Teaching Job

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and glad to join. I am hoping you will be able to help in my case.

I have been on unemployment insurance since May this year, after being laid off from a non-school job. During my unemployment period I have been doing part time teaching gigs (one 3-hour class a week, in a 3 week courses that are being organized from time to time depending on sufficient number of interested students) and always was reporting my work hours to the unemployment office. The wages weren't large, and I never had problem with it until last claim period, when my benefits were stopped and I have been scheduled for a verification interview (this interview will take place in 3 days). Can this have something to do with the fact that I put in the reason for no longer working "seasonal employment ended" instead of "still working (part time)" as I was doing before? Also, the "seasonal employment" term was probably wrongly used, since this is an ongoing part time job, and I just was called after filling my report to do another course.
    Once again, my claim benefits are based on a different employment and this is only a small side job I am doing.

Can I lose my benefits (paid from completely different job) and what is the best strategy to talk with unemployment agent?

Thank you!
    K.O.B

Default Re: Unemployment Benefits Stopped Because of a Part Time Teaching Job

I suspect that you're correct - that your labeling your work as "seasonal" has triggered a review to determine that you're qualified for benefits and are available for "off-season" work. I suspect that the issue was triggered by an unfortunate choice of terminology.

If you qualify for benefits, once any misunderstanding is cleared up, you'll continue to qualify. Your choice of words doesn't change your qualification.

1. Sponsored Links