Default Detour Sign Indicated to Turn Left - Given Ticket for Improper Left Turn

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New Jersey

Road was closed due to construction around midnight.
    Detour signs were posted.
    Followed the detour sign indicating to turn left.
    Turned left.
    Waived over by officer.
    I was one of 18 other cars stopped in a line we were all given tickets for improper left turn.
    Early the next morning I went to photo the detour sign.
    All the signs had been replaced or moved and the one I followed was removed.
    Should I go to court?
    Since this is a moving violation I think it will increase my auto insurance.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Detour Sign Indicated to Turn Left - Given Ticket for Improper Left Turn

You seem to be lacking any proof of this.

Default Re: Detour Sign Indicated to Turn Left - Given Ticket for Improper Left Turn

Well, whoever the contractor/subcontractor was, or the local agency (city's department of public works or whatever it is called in your neck of the woods) performing the work or in charge of the project, should have a records of how the signs were laid out initially, how they were changed, and why.

Did the officer indicate art all what was improper about your turn in particular (never mind the 17 other drivers).... Obviously, you should keep in mind that an "improper turn" could mean a lot more than simply following or not following a left turn arrow

You've gotten advice from "That Guy" who boasts being "right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%". Simply put, he loves to post nonesense that should never be taken seriously - EVER!!

Quote Quoting PenrynBigbird
    View Post
    You've gotten advice from "That Guy" who boasts being "right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%". Simply put, he loves to post nonesense that should never be taken seriously
    You must mean "nonsense", don't you? Either way, I offered something that the OP maybe able to utilize. You on the other hand, offered NOTHING!

Well, except for further proof that you are a bitter hateful individual. Quite the different from your performance in your own thread where you showed your ignorance!

Quote Quoting PenrynBigbird
    View Post
    EVER!!
    Nice touch... It makes it sound as if you have a clue!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Well, whoever the contractor/subcontractor was, or the local agency (city's department of public works or whatever it is called in your neck of the woods) performing the work or in charge of the project, should have a records of how the signs were laid out initially, how they were changed, and why.

Did the officer indicate art all what was improper about your turn in particular (never mind the 17 other drivers).... Obviously, you should keep in mind that an "improper turn" could mean a lot more than simply following or not following a left turn arrow
    You are correct, however from personal experience with INDOT on a similar issue, state agencies and contractors will do everything in their power to be evasive and non cooperative, when it comes to providing proof of your innocence in a traffic matter. I can't believe those agencies in CA would be of any more assistance. They are very fast to fix their screwups after you point them out though.

The OP's case would be government estopple ... ie you followed a direction of an authority and was punished for doing so. Now, all you have is your word for it but if you contact other people in the same boat then perhaps you/them can testify in each other's cases. That would help.

I don't know if you would win but it is a defense to offer.

1. Sponsored Links