Default Paying for College

Hi!

Rather than making this a lengthy story, let me provide you with the basics. I am a 19 year old student wanting to attend Depaul within the year. When I was 13, my father passed away. We had just moved into a house that my parents built 3 years prior, so y mother, still single, had all of the expenditures from the house, funeral, credit cards and various other things to pay. Because my dad had switched jobs a month prior to his death, his insurance had not kicked in yet, thusly providing an even greater financial problem for my mom. I have a heart deffect, so, for some time, because of my pre-existing condition, didn't have insurance which is why, when I went to the hospital for a heart complication, my mother had to pay thousands out of pocket. Just last year, my family lost the house that my parents built. Becauase this was after financial aid was filled out, nothing was taken into consideration, expecially due to my mother's nursing income, and the fact that y sister is a senior in high school. Because my mom's credit is so screwed up, the fact that I live in my aunt's basement, and I have no credit to get a loan myself, I am seeking any way to get a loan or good financial aid from an institution or the state. I am out of ideas. Do I financially emancipate myself? I am a bright student who desperately wants to attend school in the spring, so any advice would be greatly apreciated. Thank you!

Default Re: Paying for College

Speak with DePaul's financial aid office to see what options may be available to you.

Alternatively, you might consider delaying matriculation for a year or two while you work to establish yourself. You cannot be declared financially independent unless you actually are.

Default Re: Paying for College

I may do that, thank you. And I'd really prefer not to defer any longer, but thank you for the advice.

1. Sponsored Links