Default Insured but Not Titled Yet

My question involves insurance law for the state of: VA

I am currently got in a total loss auto accident where multiple types of properties were damaged. I am at fault. I recently moved across the country two months ago. I had just purchased this car two months ago right before I moved out here. I immediatly contacted my insurance company to have this new car insured. However, the title has not transferred yet nor is it registered in the new state. The insurance carrier knows I moved, but it is still insured under state I left. I am afraid that due to the car not being in my name yet nor the car being registered, they will deny my claim. PLEASE HELP!!

Default Re: Insured but Not Titled Yet

If you chose not to properly register your vehicle, that can certainly create problems getting insurance coverage.

You are stating that you bought this car four months ago? Why did you choose to disregard the legal requirement to register your vehicle... now under the laws of two different states?

Did you inform your insurance company that you were moving to a new state, or do they think you are still at your former address?

Default Re: Insured but Not Titled Yet

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you chose not to properly register your vehicle, that can certainly create problems getting insurance coverage.

You are stating that you bought this car four months ago? Why did you choose to disregard the legal requirement to register your vehicle... now under the laws of two different states?

Did you inform your insurance company that you were moving to a new state, or do they think you are still at your former address?
    I moved out here two months ago. I have been working continuously since then. I had appointment this coming week to get it all taken care of at the DMV. Yes, my current insurer knew I moved to this new address yet it seems to be covered in prior state. All I did was call them up and tell them I got a new car and they said OK, got the VIN and the plate numbers and that was it. The care has full coverage on it, yet the title is not in my name yet, not registered in the new state I moved into, and I do have a loan for the car that the loan issuer does not have the title yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post

I bought this two months ago. I am thinking the basic question to ask is. "Can I buy insurance on a car where the title is not in my name yet?". I am obviously nervous that the insurance carrier is going to deny my claim (which is 30k plus) due to me not being on the title yet. I am praying this doesnt happen because esentially I could lose my job over this too (long story) and a whole host of other stuff....

1. Sponsored Links