Lightbulb Strategy For the Defense of Two Speeding Tickets Received Within Two Months

My question involves two traffic tickets from the state of: CALIFORNIA (both in Orange County)

Hello - I found this board online and am new to the site....I hope you can help me...Thank you in advance!

I was recently stopped two separate times for speeding in the past two months and now have two tickets in Orange County (different courts). As I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years, I am eligible to take traffic school for one of them. I extended them both out until October 24 and November 9th, so I have time to figure out my strategy.

I have a few questions:
    1. If I ask for discovery on both tickets, will I forefit my option for traffic school?

2. If I do not ask for discovery and just go ahead with a "trial by declaration" then do I forefit my option for traffic school?

3. By asking for discovery, does the officer who cited me get alerted that I requested it, or is this all done by the administrative office?

4. Would it be better to say "not guilty" for one of them and schedule a court date and if I lose, then request traffic school at that time (this gives me the chance to see if maybe the officer does not show up)

5. For one of the tickets, the officer stopped me for speeding, but ended up citing me for a "NON-CORRECTABLE" No Front Plate violation. (I thought this was a "correctable" violation, so a little confused here). My car is a lease and I purchased it in Reno and it was shipped to me in California. The lease ends in October. Because he made it a non-correctable violation, the ticket ended up being $150 or so more than it would have, had it been correctable. Would it be better to just go ahead and take traffic school for this ticket since it has two citations on the one ticket?

Any advice you can give me is very-much appreciated!!

Sincerely,
    Kim :

Default Strategy Questions- 2 Speeding Tickets - Discovery, Trial by Declaration, Front Plate

My question involves two traffic tickets from the state of: CALIFORNIA (both in Orange County)

Hello - I found this board online and am new to the site....I hope you can help me...Thank you in advance!

I was recently stopped two separate times for speeding in the past two months and now have two tickets in Orange County (different courts). As I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years, I am eligible to take traffic school for one of them. I extended them both out until October 24 and November 9th, so I have time to figure out my strategy.

I have a few questions:

1. If I ask for discovery on both tickets, will I forefit my option for traffic school on both? (I want to analyze which one has a better chance of winning via "trial by declaration")

2. If I do not ask for discovery and just go ahead with a "trial by declaration" then do I forefit my option for traffic school on both? (I was going to take my chances and hope the officer did not show up for one or both, and ask the judge to grant me traffic school for the other) - (this could be risky though)

3. By asking for discovery, does the officer who cited me get alerted that I requested it, or is this all done by the administrative office? (I feel as though if he knows I am asking for discovery he will me more apt to recognize my case and make more of an effort to work against me, appear in court, etc)

4. Is it better to plead not guilty and go to court and present your evidence in person, or to mail in a "trial by declaration"? (My thought is that the officer would be more apt to respond via mail, because he can write-up a response any time, vs. having to be in court on a specific date/time)

5. For one of the tickets, the officer stopped me for speeding, but ended up citing me for a "NON-CORRECTABLE" No Front Plate violation...Isn't this a "Correctable" violation? If he says it is not, then am I required to get it corrected? And if I get it corrected and present DMV correction notice to the court, will the fine then be reduced/reimbursed?

6. Regarding the violation for no front plate, my car is a lease and I purchased it originally in Reno and it was shipped to me in California. Because he made it a non-correctable violation, the ticket ended up being $150 or so more than it would have, had it been correctable. Do I need to correct it if I do pay the fine?

7. Would it be better for me to take traffic school for the ticket on which I received 2 violations (no front plate & speeding) vs. the one on which I was only speeding?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!!

Sincerely,
    Kim :

1. Sponsored Links