Exclamation Signed Lease and Received Keys but Never Moved Anything in

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: GA

I signed a lease for an apartment yesterday and paid prorated rent for July. There was no security deposits required. When I did the walk through I saw repairs that needed to be made and was assured that it would be handled on Monday, as the leasing office is closed on Sunday(today). When I went back to start moving things in, I saw roaches. Not an all out infestation, but a few come from cracks in the wall that I noted for repair. I was there for several hours before finally seeing them, but I'm concerned. I decided not to leave anything in the apartment. Is it possible to get out of the lease? I am going to contact them first thing tomorrow morning, but I'd prefer not to live in a place that is infested. They said they would spray it on Wednesday, which I always have done upon moving in...whether I've seen bugs or not. I just don't want to wait only to find pest control to be insufficient due to them coming from a neighboring apartment. I have no problem letting them keep July's payment and some of August. I just would like to get out of the lease. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Signed Lease and Received Keys but Never Moved Anything in

You can ask to be released from the lease but as of yet, you do not have a legal basis to rescind the contract. If you breach, they can demand rent from you until such time it is re-rented or your lease naturally expires.

That doesn't mean there may not be a time where you could terminate the lease legally without penalty but as of now, you don't have that right.

Default Re: Signed Lease and Received Keys but Never Moved Anything in

Thank you for the response. I will speak to them tomorrow and see where it goes.

1. Sponsored Links