Default Will I Receive Social Security Benefits if I Obtain Emancipation and Am I Eligible

(I LIVE IN OREGON)
    Will I receive Social Security Benefits if I obtain Emancipation? And am I eligible to be Emancipated.
    My question involves juvenile law in the State of: I receive Social Security Benefits (Technically My Mother receive SS Benefits) But I know I'd obtain the Benefits when I turn 18 but if I am Emancipated at the age of 16, will my Mother continue to receive them or would they be turned over to me? I have a job so the $600 dollars I make at work plus the $650 I receive from SSI would be enough to live on my own. My Mother is mentally and somewhat physically abusive and I am obviously not a psych but I can GUARANTEE my Mother has some sort of mental illness... She is an unfit parent and my "Father" is a drug abuser and I don't even know where he lives... My Mother recently told me "You need to be Emancipated or put in Foster Care or I'm throwing you on the street", I am NOT going to Foster Care... One of the reasons I'd like to know if I'd receive those Benefits is because my Mother abuses them, Spending the Benefits on items that are "forbidden" For example, I am pretty sure her new shoes, make up, purse, Etc, are NOT Beneficial to my health. I'd rather not have the SSI than fraud the government. Thank you very, very much for your time and help!

Default Re: Will I Receive Social Security Benefits if I Obtain Emancipation and Am I Eligibl

You have not provided any information to suggest that you are a candidate for emancipation.

Are these survivor benefits? Dependent child benefits?

In general, emancipation means that you are declared a SELF-SUPPORTING adult, and therefore there is a good likelihood that the SSI benefits would stop. No one, not you, and not your mother, would get them. But it can make a difference WHY you are receiving them in the first place.

Of course, you have reported your "unfit" parent to CPS and the "fraud" to Social Security, right?

Default Re: Will I Receive Social Security Benefits if I Obtain Emancipation and Am I Eligibl

Nope, you don't get the benefits. You also don't get to claim them as earned income toward potential emancipation.

1. Sponsored Links